Help 2001 mercury 90hp brush spring holder

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Okay this is my first Mercury outboard. And so far I am so dissatisfied not so much with the motor. But with Mercury company themselves. Here's the problem that I am having..I got this motor when it was sunk in about eight feet of water. I got the motor back up and running by cleaning out everything. I opened the tilt/trim and it was filled with gunk. I decided to go in and clean it out.. during that process I broke one of the brush spring holders. No problem so i thought, I would just called Mercury and order a new one. Until I found out that none of the tilt/trim motors are serviceable. So i asked Merxury if they could provide me the name of the company that manufacturered their tilt/trim units, that way i could call them and order the brush holder.They told me that they could not give me that information...WHAT....So what i found out was, If anything goes wrong with that tilt/trim motor, you have to buy a brand new one...i could not believe that...for a simple brush holder, i have to buy a brand new motor...that Mercury says is 540.00 for a .10 brush holder... that devil is a lie....that is insane so I need help trying to find this brush holder. I have looked everywhere I have included pictures if anybody knows where I can buy this brush holder I really would be appreciative.

Attachments

• photo284226.jpg
    photo284226.jpg
    964.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo284227.jpg
    photo284227.jpg
    895.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo284228.jpg
    photo284228.jpg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo284229.jpg
    photo284229.jpg
    930.3 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Merc did sell brush kits for the older PTT motors, 1993 and older. ARCO makes replacement PTT motors, for about $200 or so. Used motors are avail on Flea-bay, I will bet.

Maybe a starter shop could match it up..

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the response, I went on ebay, they have replacement motor for about 120.00, and no used one's, But I just can't see paying 120.00 for a new one when all I need is the spring....I went to every starter and alternator rebuild shop in my area within a 100 miles... along with mercury dealerships, they looked at the spring like it was something from out of space...lol...I would have thought they would have seen this type of spring, but none of them had anything that was close....And I would have to say, NONE of them have every seen a spring like this before...LOL...WOW

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Shops just do NOT REPAIR items that are valued at $ 200 or so.----They open a box and install new assemblies.---That is how shops survive and stay open.----Myself I do not object to spending 10 hrs on a 50 year old Briggs & Stratton 3 hp engine because I like doing the project.-----Not the smartest thing to do moneywise.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
To Racer's point, my PTT unit on my '93 Merc started leaking. I needed a replacement trim cylinder assembly. The best price I could get on one was $800. A brand new entire Merc PTT unit was $930, and e-bay was full of used units.

The lesson here is that with the price of mechanic and shop's time, it doesn't pay to rebuild a PTT unit. just replace it....

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Guys, I took your advise and I brought a new motor...I didn't want too.....LOL.....But it seem like every time I go out and buy something new, something goes wrong...If I don't fix it myself, something, I end up losing in the end....