2000 75HP Mercury with low compression on 1 Cylinder

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

Would a bad head gasket cause one out of 3 cylinders to have low compression? I got 120psi on 2 and 60psi on cyinder 3. Also, should I still be able to start engine and stay running because mine wont. Any help would be appreciated. I already replaced fuel filter, rebuilt carbs and fuel pump. thanks

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
There is no head gasket on that motor. Take the exhaust cover off and look at the piston. More than likely you need a rebuild. It may not run if there is enough damage inside the motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed , no head gasket on that motor.----Still hoping for an easy fix are you ??

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What about the cylinder block cover gasket? Isnt that the gasket that seals for the water to go around the cylinders for cooling? Yes trying:)

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That is only a water jacket nothing more. The block and head are cast as one unit on that motor. Ever hear the term blind bore?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are NO GASKETS and no valves involved with the compression in the cylinder !!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
at best you have a broken ring and ring land and no bore damage..... however most likely not.

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
But the entire power head will need removed to repair the broken piston ring? Even so, shouldn't I be able to start it and keep it running since the other 2 cylinders are ok? My engine won't start and when it does will cutoff within seconds...

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Your engine is damaged!!!!! It may not run correctly the more you try to force it the worse it will get