Rev limiter or ??? won't go to full throttle

8itagain

Cadet
1996 90 hp ELPTO #0G317785
does this have a rev limiter or some other type of RPM limiter? It revs to 5000 when in neutral but under power it stops at around 3000 and half the throttle ... if i throttle up it will immediately cut back, not sputter but just like it turns off.
This is a new issue, last week I was cruising at 5000 with no issues :(

More thoughts ...

It has an auto oil injection system from the factory. The previous owner didn't trust the system so he removed the tank and looped the oil line back on itself (now a closed system) and we mix the oil in the gas tank. Is there any sensors on this year motor looking for injection oil pressure?

The water line back to the gauge is partially collapsed, will it go into LIMP mode when under 10 lbs on the guage?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most motors will rev to 5000 rpm ruuning on 2 of 3 cylinders in nuetral.---Means nothing as a test !----Check compression.---Check for spark on all 3 leads.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Keep revving it to 5000 in neutral and soon you may not have to worry about the engine not going above 3000 in gear. You are saying it just dies/quits if you go past 1/2 throttle or more than 3000 rpm? Could be fuel or ignition issues. Sudden death without missing usually means complete ignition shutdown. Under the cowl, check for any interfering between the throttle linkage and any ignition system wires, also check said wires for breaks in continuity and breaks in the insulation. Could also be shorting/grounding in the control box too.

8itagain

Cadet
Keep revving it to 5000 in neutral and soon you may not have to worry about the engine not going above 3000 in gear. You are saying it just dies/quits if you go past 1/2 throttle or more than 3000 rpm? Could be fuel or ignition issues. Sudden death without missing usually means complete ignition shutdown. Under the cowl, check for any interfering between the throttle linkage and any ignition system wires, also check said wires for breaks in continuity and breaks in the insulation. Could also be shorting/grounding in the control box too.

I hear ya about revving in neutral ... when this happened, I put it in neutral and quickly reved it to see if the linkage was working ... it reacted normally.
The reason I feel it is electrical is as i apply power it will keep rising until 3000ish and then hit a wall and de-accelerate actually cutting power without any sputtering and settle at a lower RPM.
Does this motor have a Rev Limiter? Acts just like a LIMP mode.
Any experience with a failing Stator and symptoms?

8itagain

Cadet
Most motors will rev to 5000 rpm ruuning on 2 of 3 cylinders in nuetral.---Means nothing as a test !----Check compression.---Check for spark on all 3 leads.

Don't believe it is Compression related as it idles and runs smooth up to half throttle when it shuts down. No sputtering or rough running it is like a switch is thrown at 3000ish and it dials back.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Try running with a timing light abd see if spark " goes away " on one cylinder !!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hit the stickies....look at the guide for low WOT.

Also look at wiring....as an immediate shut off is ignition vs fuel

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If you think it?s electrical...check or replace battery and it check the changing circuit it producing around 14v. Those spark plugs draw a fair bit of current when running under load.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
QBoy---Are you sure that the battery is involved with making spark on this motor ?

merc850

Commander
I'm pretty sure that motor has Alternator Driven Ignition which derives its spark from the flywheel magnets and coils and it doesn't have a dist. cap and rotor either.

DavidMoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No oil pressure sensors, no limp mode on that engine.
No distributor either.

When my elpto would intermittently act up and die on me when giving throttle it turned out to be insufficient fuel being delivered to the carbs, at least it never happened again after I re-built the fuel pump and changed the fuel lines.

Equally it's possible that it's electrical; Jimmbo and racerron already gave all the advise I can give.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Hitting the wall so to speak under load can be either fuel or electrical or both. But since it is a brand new problem one must eliminate one system as the cause before just shot gunning the problem. Check fuel pressure or just try squeezing the primer bulb in the fuel line when the engine is bogging. If it picks up, you found the cause -- not the problem. The cause would be lack of fuel delivery. Fuel restriction between the pickup in the tank and the engine is the cause. If the bulb is being sucked flat, the restriction is between the bulb and the tank pickup. Otherwise look at the fuel pump. If the problem is not the fuel system, then check spark on all cylinders. My guess is that you have a fuel delivery problem. As for the water pressure gauge, there is no alarm function associated with it. It is simply telling you the water pump is working. It is also unlikely the oil injection system (or lack of it) since you are pre-mixing is the issue. I'm not sure if the overheat sensor triggers protection mode but the overheat horn would be sounding (provided it works).

8itagain

Cadet
I'm not sure if the overheat sensor triggers protection mode but the overheat horn would be sounding (provided it works).

Completely new to this outboard experience ... where to look for a overheat sensor and how to check if it is working as designed?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If the overheat alarm is functional, you should hear a beep when you turn the key on. The overheat sensor would likely have a tan wire on it and is located on the cylinder head. As a word of advice -- if you intend to do any service work yourself on this engine, save yourself grief, time, and avoid mistakes that can be costly by investing in a factory "service manual" (not an owners manual) for your specific engine.

8itagain

Cadet
It does beep when I turn on the key, but if I understand correctly there is no limp mode on this motor so even if it gets hot there will be no reduction in performance ... just a beeping horn. So I can cross this off the possibilities list.

I'm still leaning towards an electrical issue. I'll see if I can find instructions on how to check the stator while still on the motor both off and running at low RPM. I have a mutimeter so hopefully that's all I need.

As per spark, I don't have a timing light so I will need to find someone that has one to borrow to test as racerone has suggested.

Unfortunately the closest lake for me to test on is 100 miles away so doing any testing that requires a mid to high RPM or load is difficult. If I don't find anything electrical, I'll be grabbing carb cleaner, seafoam and ??? and drive to the lake. I will be looking at the fuel line and bulb as well while underway.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You need to look at your stator. Those models are known for weak stators and will cause the problems you are having. Go to www.cdielectronics.com and look up the ignition testing procedures for your motor. You also need to do a compression and spark test.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Been awhile. I non longer have my 2002 90 nor my service manual. To answer your question about an Over Rev. Module problem. Sounds like you are on the right track with a OR module problem. Mine was the same engine with some upgrades. Some engines came with it in the series and some didn't. Mine didn't have the module. As I remember from the manual wiring harnesses, those with it had a module and I'm guessing it's about 1 to 1 ½" square, epoxy construction. Giveaway would be the wiring.

To get the signal to cut back the rpms, the TACH output of the rectifier regulator module, Grey wire on mine, would have to go to it and then off to the electrical connector that connects to the remote cabling sending the signal off to the tach in the boat. In addition to that would be power, Red, and ground, Black, trigger input from stator, color I don't remember, and a signal wire over to your triggers in your CDIs or switch box (if the '96 had that) which has all the CDIs in one place rather than individual modules like mine.

The triggering system was off the single stator coil and there were 3 magnets on the flywheel. In addition to that, but not related were the 6 coils for the Red battery charging stator under the flywheel but not related....that output was a pair of yellow wires.

The single system trigger coil, under the flywheel, sent out a trigger every time a magnet passed which was 3 per rev, 120 degrees apart. That signal was daisy chained through the CDIs and each got hit 3 times per rev but only one was setup on a cylinder that was ready to be fired so it was a "wasted" hit for the other two. So coming out from under the flywheel you have 2 sets of wires, one for triggers and one for battery charging.

Don't remember the wiring but I think the trigger went to the "Over Rev. Module" where by it was passed on to the triggers if ok or shorted out internally and not sent to the CDIs if too fast. I'd imagine that it would take in the lot but only let a reduced amount out. That seems to coincide with your comment about how your rpms are acting. I do not remember the color of the signal wires from the stator but you only had signal and yellow battery charging pairs.

I'd follow the wires I mentioned and when you find the module you possibly can just unplug it. If the trigger wire from the stator is jumpered to another wire going to the CDIs, at the connector, then this will/should work. Otherwise: Merc made several harnesses to suit the occasion and the manual listed these...had to select the one that applied to your engine.

The only problem with what I said about unplugging it was that if the trigger comes in one pin (of the module) to be processed internally, and then out another pit to go to the CDIs to trigger them, you'd have to jumper those two wires together at the connector when you unplug it.....which isn't a big deal, to get the signal from the stator to continue on to the CDIs....wiithout going through the OR module. Just pay attention to the color codes and select the two wires at the OR module connector other than power, ground, and tach input as mentioned above and short them together with a jumper which would route the full compliment of triggers to the CDIs with no cancellations.

The engine has no oil supply sensor. The Over temp sensor is as Silvertip said and can be removed from the circuit by following that tan wire he mentioned from the sensor, located on the top left rear of the engine block water jacket cover over to the wiring harness where it is connected...just unplug it if concerned while troubleshooting.

Best I can do.

8itagain

Cadet
Update....
Had a mobile mechanic come over to help out that "knew how to test the stator". Unfortunately when he got here he didn't have his DVM meter :( . So no stator test. I previously tested the output voltage to the batteries and that was good at 14.4
However he did have a spark gauge and we found that #1 coil had erratic and sometimes no spark. We replaced it and will get out on the lake tomorrow ... I'm not optimistic that it is the issue I experienced.
Checked the compression as well, 120 -125 all three cylinders.
More to come.....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Update....
Had a mobile mechanic come over to help out that "knew how to test the stator". Unfortunately when he got here he didn't have his DVM meter :( . So no stator test. I previously tested the output voltage to the batteries and that was good at 14.4
However he did have a spark gauge and we found that #1 coil had erratic and sometimes no spark. We replaced it and will get out on the lake tomorrow ... I'm not optimistic that it is the issue I experienced.
Checked the compression as well, 120 -125 all three cylinders.
More to come.....

120 passes the min requirements test for adequate compression. Get a timing light! I thought I mentioned this before but in checking must have forgotten. A timing light connected to each plug can tell you how it's firing during the period when experiencing your problem. If one cylinder is dropping out it will/should allow you to catch that. While using, compare the responses on each cylinder at the same rpm/boat load to check if firing at all, but also firing at the required rate.