1979 2.0L Mercury v175 no water from tell tale

bassin89

Seaman
I've replaced the impeller on this motor and still am not getting any water from the tell tale. I unhooked the water lines from the back of the thermostats and water is flowing through them and from the valve up top where the water pressure gauge would connect but nothing from the tell tale. Heads are also getting extremely hot to the touch.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Couple of things;

Is the tell-tale hose clear?

Are you on muffs, barrel or lake? In a barrel, is the water level well above the water pump?

Any water coming out of the prop and a mist out of the exhaust relief port?

bassin89

Seaman
Tell tale hose is clear and its on muffs. I'll check tomorrow to make sure water is coming out of the prop and exhaust relief port

tommarvin

Ensign
Are you sure you installed the impeller with the vanes going the correct direction, does your driveshaft turn clockwise looking down at it, another way to check is the pull start direction of the flywheel,never turn a flywheel the wrong direction is the impeller key way installed so the rubber impeller does not spin on the driveshaft and pumps water.
Dont burn your motor up figureing this out, get a IR gun and dont let the heads burn up.
Like above, never run your motor on muffs, get a tank thats six inchs above the water pump or higher, we made a wood box as high as we could,because we could not find a plastic tote that would fit.Motors don't get enough water on muffs ever..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you sure you installed the impeller with the vanes going the correct direction, does your driveshaft turn clockwise looking down at it, another way to check is the pull start direction of the flywheel,never turn a flywheel the wrong direction is the impeller key way installed so the rubber impeller does not spin on the driveshaft and pumps water.
Dont burn your motor up figureing this out, get a IR gun and dont let the heads burn up.
Like above, never run your motor on muffs, get a tank thats six inchs above the water pump or higher, we made a wood box as high as we could,because we could not find a plastic tote that would fit.Motors don't get enough water on muffs ever..

What drivel! Mr. Tom, please stop reading and posting stuff from the Internet!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Does your "P" tube come off adapter plate or off t-stats???

Last edited:

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Also even if the the vanes of the impeller are turned the wrong way. And the key is in place, would they not right themselves after the motor is started?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like impeller is pumping...the models that tube comes off adapter(single hose no "T" from t-stats) has to be ran in barrel as backpressure needed to hold water in adapter to "P". Also make sure hoses correct location as cooling in different. Hoses should run from left head to right head and from right head to poppet. The "P" run from adapter to cowling nipple. image_80826.jpg
image_98353.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like impeller is pumping...the models that tube comes off adapter(single hose no "T" from t-stats) has to be ran in barrel as backpressure needed to hold water in adapter to "P". Also make sure hoses correct location as cooling in different....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is the tell tale defo clear all the way from the head exit to the visible outlet ? Often the case where hardened sea water solids clog it up. Requires lots of poking with a wire to clear. Also worth thinking about the thermostat action.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Also worth noting that if you are running on the hose and you have a good fitting seal on the intake....it might fool you just enough to think the impeller is pumping, but it?s actually just the water pressure off the hose is just enough to make you think it?s pumling a little.
When you say the head is hot...do you mean you can?t touch it for more than a second ? If you can touch and hold it for more than a few seconds, it?s likely not overheating, as a general guide.

bassin89

Seaman
Faztbullet, i took it to the lake this weekend to see if putting in the water would get water coming through the tell tale, still nothing though. When i unplug the valve at the top where a water pressure gauge would go i've got water pumping out of it and water is also still coming out of the hoses leading to the t stats if i undo them but still nothing from the tell tale

bassin89

Seaman
All i can figure is maybe theres a blockage or something inside the adapter leading to the p hole