repairing trim button on throttle handle

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone worked on a throttle handle like the one shown in my attached pix? Its a throttle for a 99 90hp 3 cyl. What happens is that when I push the trim button back (lower it) sometimes the spring does not kick the switch back to neutral when released so the trim motor will sit their pumping away until I recenter the button. Its not obvious to me how to take that handle apart. It looks like I could apply a small blade screwdriver in that slot where its fitted together but it may be epoxied in place and I might destroy something. So far I'm just living with it but I'd like to fix it without having to buy a whole new throttle handle. I've tried spraying various lubes in there.

Attachments

• photo282108.jpg
    photo282108.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 0

tommarvin

Ensign
I have never worked on a throttle handle/tiller.
You solved the problem, the spring does not kick the switch back to neutral.
I would get a factory service manual or you tube on how to open the tiller handle so you dont break anything to replace the spring or get a new switch .
Im sure its not epoxied, some things come apart hard/tricky.
If your boating season is over for awhile go out there and take it apart slow and carefully Is the spring ok or do you need to order a new switch online.
You can do this, Iv'e been there done this, it's scary you don't want to screw this up and can't go boating for awhile waiting on parts to arrive at your front door.
You have nothing to loose if your boating season is over, go for it, you got this..

alldodge

Staff member

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
this has been going on for a looooong time and I haven't been worrying about it since I know to make sure it centers. However, ocassionaly someone else takes the helm and I'm concerned that they may go a long way with the trim motor running all the time. Maybe careful application of a heat gun will make it easier to pry off that little block.

When you get it apart can you get at the internal switch parts (like that spring} or is it a sealed up thing?

alldodge

Staff member
When you get it apart can you get at the internal switch parts (like that spring** or is it a sealed up thing?

The spring is part of the switch and is not serviceable. Heat does help and I also used one (forgot to mention)