hole in lower unit- ouch but maybe lucky

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
After a recent trip to the coast where I bumped into some submerged foundations I noticed this hole in my lower unit. I think I got lucky in that it punched thru into the cavity where water is anyway. Do ya'll agree. I don't see any water in the the oil. I think I will plug the hole with some JB weld. I've got some marinetex I could use. Odd how its a perfectly round hole. Almost like a plug was there. The large paint scrape happened at the same time.

Attachments

• photo281941.jpg
    photo281941.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would not plug that hole !!!-----Put in at the factory to drain a cavity ?

tommarvin

Ensign
Like above, i would be very careful plugging a perfectly round hole.
You should check/search to see if it's supposed to be there.
It's very easy to weld/plug a aluminum hole it's on you tube only if you have to.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm learning more everyday to ask before acting. Thanks for the responses. Maybe its just that scratch that called my attention to perfectly a round hole that was already there. This would not be a good time of year to trap water in that lower unit even if it is Texas.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Like above, i would be very careful plugging a perfectly round hole.
You should check/search to see if it's supposed to be there.
It's very easy to weld/plug a aluminum hole it's on you tube only if you have to.

Mr. Tom - This is all misinformation! Please stop!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Common sense would tell you that perfectly round holes with paint in them cant be punched in by hitting something

Even if you managed to hit something that would pierce a perfectly round hole without deforming the material, the fact that the hole is painted should have allerted you that the hole was there from the factory

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
No it does not have paint inside the hole so maybe it was punched. OTOH, the holes for the locator pins were not painted either and as a matter of fact it caused some of the locator pins to get seized into the case. Long story. I need to find someone with a similar motor and have a close look at theirs.

I'm taking it to the lake tomorrow. There is no water showing in the oil in the lower unit so I think I'm ok.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
As racerone stated in post #2, it is a drain hole. As far as outboard authorities, you wont find much mor knowledgeable

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
when in doubt look thru the service manual. Toward the end of the manual where they describe rebuilding the lower unit there is a drawing of the lower unit and of all things it actually shows that hole. It just didn't get any paint in it or perhaps my recent long salt water trips caused it to flake off.