release power trim on 2cy 90 hp Merc

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a way to manually release the power trim tilt on a mercury 90hp 2 cyc s/n OT087666.?
The reason I am asking is that recently I had a problem with the power trim relay failure. This wouldn't be a big deal except if it failed in the down position then I wouldn't be able to get it onto the trailer without it dragging on the road so it would have been nice if there was a way to manually move the motor into the up locked position. I know how to manually make the trim motor work without the relays but I'm thinking about the situation where the power trim motor might not work.

tommarvin

Ensign
Im not sure,we had a force 125 hp and there was a c clip on the hydraulics you could release the pressure.
A factory service manual would help, but if not i would start removing the hydrolics lines to remove the pressure so you could lift the motor up and put the lock on or a 2X4

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I?m not familiar with a 2 cylinder 90hp. But I had a 3 cylinder 90hp Merc and all you had to do was in screw the vent or bleed/relief screw. Hard to find at first, but there is a hole drilled in the casting of the main bracket to allow access to the screw, with a screw driver. Think it?s a plastic screw. Only needs to be unscrewed by a turn or so. No need to remove.
This allows you to manually lift and lower the engine.

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Unscrewing big plastic screw slightly does the trick indeed. Don't forget to screw it back in afterwards, else water will get in there.

Jmitch1102

Seaman
I just had a trim relay issue on a 70 Hp Evinrude. I trimmed up and the relay stuck. This made the motor continue to trim up without depressing the button. I quickly pulled the relay. I then had to swap the up and down relays to get it back into the water. Then quickly pull the relay out again to keep it from continuously trimming down. This got me a few miles back to the trailer. Once on the trailer swapped them again to get it out of the water. Made for a exciting trip with a few panicked people that have never been on a boat before.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your relays must be a lot easier to get to. In my case the best work around was to pull the blue and green wires going to the trim motor out of their connections. then I could hot wire + or - to those 2 terminals to make it go up or down. Even at that I decided to tie a string to those wires so I could pull them up if it happens again since they were difficult to get to. Fortunately it didn't fail permanently on the water. I know what you mean about new boat riders. Maybe you should have handed out PFDs when you had that problem. :)