2001 90hp Mercury Outboard Starter

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2001 90 horsepower Mercury outboard starter. I went in to change the bushings and clean out the starter. I put the starter back together everything seemed fine the starter spins forward and backwards by hand but when I went to bench test it the positive side gives off a spark and starting to melt the screw on the positive terminal for some odd reason the screw is getting real and the stater wont turn...did I put something in backwards any help will be appreciated thank you...
Mav6759

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take it apart again.----Post pictures of the " brushes " and stuff.----You have a dead short in there.-----What was the reason for taking it apart ?

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I took it apart because the started with spinning but would not engage the flywheel.. when I took apart the starter it was terrible on the inside everything was still intact but it was all gunked up with grease so I cleaned it out put it back together and now when I try to bench test it it's getting so hot it had a little flame on the positive screw don't know you really can't screw nothing up inside of their I would try to send pictures a little later I'm at work right now

tommarvin

Ensign
Starters are inexpensive,compared to other parts on your motor, look around on line, I bet you could find one for 50 bucks

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think I have the same motor.
you must have inadvertently pinched some +12 and ground wires together to cause a dead short. As far as not engaging flywheel, this happened to me. The locknut on top of the starter came off and allowed the gear to extend beyond the flywheel teeth so it just would spin. It stranded me on the lake. Fortunatly, when that locknut came off it hopped up and landed under the flywheel so I was able to put it back, this time with some blue loctite.

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
tommarvin:

> Starters are inexpensive,compared to other parts on your motor, look around on line, I bet you could find one for 50 bucks

roscoe:

> IF you decide or need to replace the starter, please don't buy a sub-$100 replacement from a third world country.
> At least buy an ARCO or SIERRA brand starter. Iboats sells them.
> http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfinde...n_id=851666535

Strongly agree: when choosing a spare starter 3 years ago I was advised here to buy a used genuine one rather than any brand-new 3rd party one, and bought a former one at Ebay for just $25. This summer I tested it while troubleshooting a fault in the circuit (it turned out to be starter relay) and found it in perfect working order. It's part number 50-66015-2 for 2-stroke 90hp.

Last edited:

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Ok I want to thank every one who responded...I fixed it... you were right I missed something, there was a plastic piece that stop the positive bolts at the bottom of the starter from touching the cap of the starter...I guess it was grounding out the starter, causing all kinds of sparks. I inserted the round plastic piece into the hole, and ran the screw through it and now it works great.... Thanks so much you guy are great as always... stay tuned...I have 2001 Mercury 90hp, that I'm trying to get unseized......lol