Stuck in forward

ritter0404

Recruit
1984 mercury 650 ser# 1804856 or I804856. Had a problem with not fully going into reverse. Lubed shift cable and linkage. With engine off ran gear/throttle a couple times started motor and put in forward then neutral then reverse to test but stays in forward even after shifting. Cables and everything move just won't go out of forward. Also changed lowe unit gear oil. Thank you for any help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????----There was no 650 in 84 model year.-----Was the lower unit off for water pump service ?-------How long have you owned it ?-----Is it a 4 cylinder motor ?------Sounds like a 1965 model to me.-----Post some pictures to get started in sorting this out.

ritter0404

Recruit
It was my mistake it is a 1965 I was told it was a 1984. Boat was running but wouldn't get full reverse. Was told to drop the lower. Shift linkage is ok shifter in lower move up and down but still no gear change. I'm guessing gears are shot. Either rebuild the lower or buy one. This was the first time removing the lower and is a 4 cyl. Have had the boat 6 months been in the water quite a few times in that 6 months. Ran great just started having shift issues.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This motor shifts by turning the shift rod.-----It does NOT shift with an up and down motion !---Look at the top of this page for a tutorial on set up of the shift shaft and installing the lower unit.