Looking for a way to raise motor

Bushrider

Cadet
I previously posted looking for a part number for tilt and trim motor for my 150 hp Mariner, as mine has burnt out. I haven't found the part yet, and would like to get the boat out of my driveway. There must be a release somewhere to allow me to manually life the engine, but I can't find it. Not really even sure what it looks like. The serial number is 6409101. 1982 150hp ELPT.
Again, any help appreciated.
thanks
David

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Usually the bypass is a slotted screw on the starboard bracket down low. Look for a hole below the arc of the trim pin holes close to the transom. It won't stay up so you'll need to close it again after you've got the motor where you want it.

Alumarine

Captain
If it's the external pump type there is a valve on the pump which will allow you to raise the motor.
It's near where the hoses go into the base of the pump.

Or, you could disconnect the pistons.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
As mentioned above...there is usually a flat head screw, which at first glance seems impossible to get at or even see. There is a hole in the cast of the main structure of the bracket to allow access. Don?t unscrew all the way...just turn or two. You should be able to lift it then. May take two people to get it going at first. If doing the reverse and dropping...be careful and ope screw slowly...otherwise the thing will come creasing down. Not good !

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Assuming that this motor has the PTT between the transome clamps, some of the PTT bypass screws are too corroded (even though they are plastic) to come out. They just strip. If you have that issue, you should be able to unbolt the PTT unit from the transom clamps (six 7/16" bolts), remove one side of the transom clamp and tilt the motor up and block it. Then drive out the trilobe pin, undo the wiring and drive out the top pin to free the whole PTT unit.

Bushrider

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the support! I have a couple of guys who will help me lift the motor, and I have a transom saver that I will put in place after I get the motor up. I will report back after I get the boat moved!