Trying to figure out what year mercury 7.5 i have

Gasketguy87

Recruit
Hello all, I just pick up this beauty and need to find a year so I can purchase a impeller and other tune up parts for it. The serial number is 5342575 and it's a 7.5 tiller. Sorry in advance this site will not allow me to post pictures

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the rules you supposedly read and agreed to discuss why you cant post pictures until your 4th post

regarding your tiller. 1979 started with SN 5226935 and ended with SN 5524659

you could have simply found it by using google and typing in mercury serial number

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take the old impeller out and read the part # on it.-----Now there are 2 different shaft diameters and you should measure yours at the impeller.----That way you can order the correct one the first time.-----Part # ends either with 80 or 81.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
forgot about the two shaft diameters. only way to know is to measure. IIRC one is .438, other is .452

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the forum, Gasket.

You need more than 3 posts before the photo restriction is lifted. For adding pictures, click on the Forum Help link in my sig and look at the photo link. Do not use Photobucket to host your pics.

You have a 1979 from this chart - http://www.maxrules.com/models/Merc_model_files/7p5-9p9.html BTW - Merc parts are ID'ed using serial numbers, not year of manufacture.

Gasketguy87

Recruit
Thanks guys I'm pretty new at this. I wasn't sure what site to look up numbers. Good to see some people willing to help