what powerhead do I have

mike6868

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 1987 model year boat.
Someone in the past changed the lowerend
and/or powerhead. The lower end SN comes up as a 94 200 XRI which matches what the cowling says. The power head is not close... For one its carbureted. My main question is about the charging system. I know it?s older because it has a 3 post rectifier and only 2 yellow wires off the stator and not 4 like the newer years have. But there is also a smaller 2 post box right on top just rear of the flywheel with one yellow wire and one red wire that are both jumped off the rectifier. What is it?

Dukedog

Captain
regulator......... 16 amp system.. newer ones on most, not all '89 up (some 150's, XR4's, 175's, 200's) have 40 amp stuff...

Last edited:

mike6868

Seaman Apprentice
awesome thx! So most likely i have an 87 v200 on a 94 mid/lower section. I wonder if i can convert it to a 40 amp system

Dukedog

Captain
if you have tha late model cowlings already it can be done pretty easy..... just bolt on parts... flywheel, stator and a coupla combination reg/rectifiers...... tha early 40's (89 ta '91 I think) used a single water cooled reg/rec... they are junk.. later went to two air cooled reg/rec that work much better

mike6868

Seaman Apprentice
If I went with a newer style rectifier/regulator kit, Which brand is good? Is it worth paying more for a CDI brand?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Is there a serial # on the powerhead? Does it have the oil mixing pump on the block? You might have to pull a head off and measure the bore.
These FrankenMercs are always a puzzle

mike6868

Seaman Apprentice
Is there a serial # on the powerhead? Does it have the oil mixing pump on the block? You might have to pull a head off and measure the bore.
These FrankenMercs are always a puzzle
There was an oil mixing pump. I removed that system and went to premix. There is a V200 placard on top of the flywheel cover. Where would the SN be located on the block?

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Isn't there a ser # stamped into a frost plug on the powerhead on the Mercs

Dukedog

Captain
If I went with a newer style rectifier/regulator kit, Which brand is good? Is it worth paying more for a CDI brand?

​some like cdi stuff but I've not had very good results with it... you gonna need all parts I mentioned in other post.. check ebay.. what hp v6 makes no difference.. any v6 from '76 ta '99... it all will bolt up.. you need parts from '93 to '99 V6 40 amp stuff... one thing will need to be done though is to fab a bracket to mount tha "two" reg/rectifiers.. have seen some on top of block, behind.. flywheel..

​"frost plug" aka freeze plug.. that's what it looks like.. its actually a "welsh plug".. its on top of tha block behind tha flywheel.. may or may not have a serial number stamped in... some do and some don't for whatever reasons unknown???