Oily slime leaking out. What's going on?

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ran for about an hour yesterday. Noticed this when I trailered up. Never saw it before. It has the same color and consistency as old gear lube. Popped the cowling and all looks good inside, no evidence of this stuff in there. I wiped it off and none of it dripped out from anywhere afterward. What could be going on here?

AJcnkvH.jpg

netTPP3.jpg

merc850

Commander
It looks the waterpump seal has failed and gear lube is being pumped thru the cooling system; why it's there? could be because one of the gaskets between the driveshaft housing and powerhead has failed allowing some cooling water to leak out.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Smell the oil emulsion. If it smells stinky, it is gear oil. If it smells like oil or gas, it is 2 cycle oil. Anyway there must be some sort to leak of fuel or cooling water.

Not much help, as I have not seen that issue before.

Well it looks like gear oil to me. If smells lone musk an that's what it is .. drain the lower check for water . There are a few seals that hold oil and water away from each other. Shift shaft o ring causes problems like this.as well as the seal below water pump

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Good chance it may be emulsified 2 stroke/fuel mix. Take the covers off and have a look in the bottom of the hood section. Sometimes happens if there engine has been left for a while tilted up.
That engine likely isn?t oil injection, but if it is have a look at the oil lines.
But if it is 2 stroke and fuel...likely came from carbs and mixed with rain water ingress

Or it could be the above suggested. An optimist would hope it?s my presumption. It panicked me on an old 90 I had years ago. It?s was evident here and out the upper exhaust puffer.