92 Mariner Throttle Cable Question

ggrundel

Cadet
I have a 92 Mainer 40hp 4cyl.
The throttle cable has a black plastic end that attaches to the throttle lever. Should that black plastic end have play (about 1/2") back and forth on the cable?

I'm trying to make adjustments as per manual, but when I go from full throttle to idle I noticed the idle screw wasn't touching the backstop from when I previously set. I realized I could move the black end of the throttle cable out with my finger so the idle screw touches the backstop

As you can see in the images, the idle screw is against backstop, when I put in full throttle, then back to neutral, the idle screw is not against the backstop

Is it normal to have about 1/2" play in the throttle cable end?

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That sounds like too much.----Time to look inside the control box.

tommarvin

Ensign
I don't think so,not normal..
The idle screw needs to return to the back stop,when you throttle back to neutral..
On our Force 125hp, there was a tension spring at the motor connector to pull the throttle cable, back to the stop at neutral..
It should be in your manual, you can check you tube there may be a video on another throttle adjustment there very close to the same thing
Watch all the you tube videos, dont just watch one video and go for it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't think so,not normal..
The idle screw needs to return to the back stop,when you throttle back to neutral..
On our Force 125hp, there was a tension spring at the motor connector to pull the throttle cable, back to the stop at neutral..
It should be in your manual, you can check you tube there may be a video on another throttle adjustment there very close to the same thing
Watch all the you tube videos, dont just watch one video and go for it.

Mariner, not a Force motor and the throttle cables and linkage are different. How many videos are enough? All vids are too many and videos often mislead.