Shot the fogging oil straw in my cylinder

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this has been discussed before and there are conflicting thoughts. Some say don't worry about it and fire her up. The other is that you need to remove it. I am going to do my best to get it out. I bought a scope to look in through the sparkplug hole and find the straw. When I look in I couldn't see it?? Any ideas on where it could have gone? I have a new mercury 150 4 stroke.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you pull a plug and spray into the spark plug hole? Have you cranked the motor over or started it?

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya i removed the plugs then I sprayed it into the cylinders. I have not cranked it or started it.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Must be in there somewhere. Either box it up and fire her up and forget it...or carefully wrap a long prodding device like a screw driver with double sided sticky tape (enough to cushion any sharp edges) and go fishing. Only if you can see it though. Can?t imagine why you can?t.

tommarvin

Ensign
Please don't turn the crankshaft/flywheel until you get the straw out, you tube may have a video if you cant remove it better take her to the dealer or marine mechanic .to have it removed.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would fire her up if you can't fish it out. Combustion heat will melt it is seconds and out the exhaust valve it goes.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
well, I ended bringing the piston to the top and was able to see the straw with my bore scope. I made a small hook with a wire and pulled it out quite easily. The straw must have been at the top of the cylinder where i couldn't see it. When I advanced the piston it must have pushed some air out the spark plug hole, moving the straw at the same time (that's that best i can come up with?). Either way it is out and I feel much better about it.

tommarvin, how come you didn't want me to turn the crankshaft or flywheel? Its too late anyway but I am curious.