80s mercury 9.8 trolling speed issue

Craigmail361

Cadet
I have a 9.8, sometime from the 80s, starts awesome, idles in neutral all day, really quick off the line and holds out at WOT all day. Once I go anywhere near trolling speeds (fwd under load,low rpm) it tends to try to bog down and die, I really have to keep on the gas. Plugs are new, I'm assuming carbs clean from what the previous owner said, everything tight, new fuel and lines, A/F adjusted perfect from what I know. 50:1 ratio for fuel. I'm assuming I have to take apart the carb again cause that's the only possible thing I think it could be, not sure if I trust the other guys work, bought it a few months ago and take it out every weekend. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the carb. easy carb to clean

maybe drop the prop down a pitch and raise the idle speed.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----There could be a lot of things wrong !----Test cylinder compression first.----Could be a reed valve problem resulting in low crankcase compression.----Could be the top or bottom crankshaft seal too.-----Have you installed a new water pump impeller ?

Craigmail361

Cadet
Well I cleaned the carb and ran it at home and ran great and steady in fwd gear all day, took out on the lake next day and it was hesitating and running like crap the first 30 minutes but smoothed out for the rest of the day, it stalled maybe 2 times at low rpm and I couldn't hit my plane speed at all, running like a dog. New impeller, carbs clean, new plugs, strained cleaned with new tank, primer bulb and lines, and fresh 50:1 ratio of gas/oil, stuck stuck stuck need advice

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???-----Not sure what you mean with post # 6-----Is the motor running on both cylinders , yes or no ?----Will it start with top plug wire off, yes or no ?----Will it start with just the bottom wire off, yes or no ?