Do I need to replace O-ring for tilt cylinder of 1977 115hp

tavacska

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, the tilt cylinder doesn't leak much. When I tried tilt up and down a lot, it can drop 5-10 drops in 1 hour. I can tell it from the garage floor.
It works very well for the tilt job. And the oil in pump will be empty after 5 month because of the leak, I guess.

I mean, in such case, is there any need for replacing the O-rings inside the cylinder?

tommarvin

Ensign
You need to fix the tilt/trim leak before the first day of boating,it gets worse, you don't want a problem during priceless boating season.
You should get a factory service manual,to make it will be an easy fix.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your trim cylinders have an oring that seals the trim rod to the trim cylinder cover. It is easy to replace. The tricky part of the job is not to pull the piston out of the cylinder, unless you have the special tool to reinstall it.

Specifically, you unscrew the trim cylinder cover with a spanner and pull out the trim rod and cylinder as an assembly. Now unbolt the trim rod from the piston, leaving the piston in the cylinder. Pull the trim rod out of the cylinder cover and fit a new oring into the cover. Now reinstall and bleed.

tavacska

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your trim cylinders have an oring that seals the trim rod to the trim cylinder cover. It is easy to replace. The tricky part of the job is not to pull the piston out of the cylinder, unless you have the special tool to reinstall it.

Specifically, you unscrew the trim cylinder cover with a spanner and pull out the trim rod and cylinder as an assembly. Now unbolt the trim rod from the piston, leaving the piston in the cylinder. Pull the trim rod out of the cylinder cover and fit a new oring into the cover. Now reinstall and bleed.

This is really fantastic trick. Thank you Chris.

The special tool make me hesitate a lot and now I can get my hands dirty.