Mid 80s Mercury 9.8 Stuck in Reverse

Cdnturbo1

Cadet
I have a mid 80s 9.8 stuck in reverse I started it and put it in reverse, it would not come out of reverse. I shut it off and now the pull start won't move nor will the shift lever. The prop can be spun by hand. Any ideas ??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you can spin the prop it is NOT stuck in reverse !!----Two nuts and the lower unit is off for inspection.----Drained the lower unit ?---Any water in there ?-----If throttle is advanced too far it may not shift.----If it is in gear the starter is locked out too.----How long have you owned it ?

Cdnturbo1

Cadet
The prop will turn ,but not freely. I can feel engine compression when turning. I have not yet drained the lower unit. I did check the throttle setting . I just got the motor recently and don't know the history

tommarvin

Ensign
Time for a factory service manual, if you want to work on your motor.
Yep, drop the lower unit, does the shift shaft move freely up and down.
Shift shaft up prop turns I think reverse, down prop turns forward, in middle neutral.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Tom----On a 9.8 the shift shaft rotates !!-----Shifting is not done with an up / down motion.

Cdnturbo1

Cadet
Problem solved

It seems that the throttle was stuck, when I got it to move it now shifts fine. This motor is new to me and I don't know the history.
I will now give everything a good going over and lubricate

Thanks everyone for the help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
shift shaft rotates as racerone indicates, I have had a sticking reverse latch actuator with a 9.8 as well.