90 hp merc. elpt need tiller

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Merc 90hp ELPT that came off of a boat with front controls and I want to change it to a tiller. Can anyone give me a part # that includes everything needed to make this conversion? My local Merc. dealer won't sell me the parts, wants to do the install...

thanks

tommarvin

Ensign
Im pretty sure you can find the parts online, it's just effort.
E-bay may have a used complete kit.
You could google used mercury parts./tiller.
Or you could not fight the markets, and use the controls that came with it.Tillers are not that comfortable to use for very long, A 90hp is a big motor to wrestle with all day long.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a Merc 90hp ELPT that came off of a boat with front controls and I want to change it to a tiller. Can anyone give me a part # that includes everything needed to make this conversion? My local Merc. dealer won't sell me the parts, wants to do the install...

thanks

What is the serial number and year if you know? There are too many 90HP models to be able to pinpoint what you need. There may not be a kit.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
^^what he said about the serial number.
Anytime you talk Merc parts, it's easier if you have your serial.

The kits (if available as kits) aren't cheap.
It's a big job but it's all nuts-and-bolts stuff. I did a 25 a couple months ago and I think it was about three hours.

If it were my own motor, I'd have to think long and hard about converting mine vs selling it and buying what I need.
Your version is what everyone wants so it should be easy to sell - even more so if you have the controls for it.
If a guy's been trying to sell his tiller model for a while, you could probably get it for a song.

EDIT: need your serial, but one of the kits is p/n 816366a52 and retails for $1500 CAD.

Last edited: