2004 Mercury 9.9

billyb33

Cadet
Came home to see this substance leaking from what I believe to be the exhaust... Is this normal?

Attachments

• photo280622.jpg
    photo280622.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280623.jpg
    photo280623.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
If it is running good than I would not be worried. That is assuming this is a 2 stroke? My merc did the same. But that was after I sprayed fogging oil in the carb and cylinders.

Last edited:

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe too rich. Do you run much at low speeds? When I troll at low speeds, I try to run it wide open for a bit to clean it out. Make sure the thermostat is functioning. Because I believe that if it is running cold you may see more sludge coming from the exhaust.

billyb33

Cadet
I run at higher speeds more.

I adjusted the screw on the front of the carb because I thought it was running lean. At low speed it would do a little cough / sneeze. I was told that was a lean sneeze and turning the screw counter clockwise in 1/4 increments, under load, till sneeze was gone, would get rid of the "sneeze". Maybe I went a turn too much???

tommarvin

Ensign
Is it gear lube leaking out of the gear case?
It looks kind of thick from here in Seattle.
I would open the gear case and see if its low or going down,after each priceless day of boating.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I run at higher speeds more.

I adjusted the screw on the front of the carb because I thought it was running lean. At low speed it would do a little cough / sneeze. I was told that was a lean sneeze and turning the screw counter clockwise in 1/4 increments, under load, till sneeze was gone, would get rid of the "sneeze". Maybe I went a turn too much???

you probably had dirt in the carb causing the lean sneeze.

what you see is unburned fuel and oil dripping from the exhaust.

adjust your carb back to specs. if you continue to get a sneeze, clean the carb

billyb33

Cadet
No Title

Ran it this morning in a garbage can. Ran good but stalled when running at low RPM. That is a first... Checked sparks plugs and they had almost ash looking little chunks on them... Just checked it and now the sludge is leaking from the prop.. ugh..

Attachments

• photo280642.jpg
    photo280642.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280643.jpg
    photo280643.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The sludge is NORMAL after running the motor in a garbage can. You are probably running to lean open the screw up about an 1/8th of a turn. Is the thermostat working correctly?