70s Mercury Tower of Power 1150 been sitting for a few years

Steve the greek

Seaman Apprentice
Hello again
WellI started pulling down the Mercury 1150
as I took her out on the lake and she ran like a dog.
So I though would check electrical harnessand pull off the 3 carbs and give a good clean.
​Question the wires connecting to the SWITCHBOX ASSEMBLY ​from the harness 3 or 4 of them were that rotten they were all exposed wires touching each other. ( Can that cause electrical problems ) ??
Question 2 When pulling off the 3 carbs WMK
It seem I have 1 WMK 151 top Correct
​The next 2 carbs marked WMK 153 ( Where is WMK 152 ) or that does not mater ??
​Question 3 As I want to put a carby kit through these 3 carbs
​Can I just replace all components that in the kit.
​And if so Can I just pull out old ones including Idle jets and main jets ( OR DO THEY HAVE TO BE SEATED A SPECIAL WAY ) ??
​as I'm keen to just replace and get boat back at the lake.
​I would appreciate all your comments on these 3 points
And thank you for your assistance
Cheers Steve
​Sydney Australia

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Read the guidlines in the stickies for resurecting an outboard from a long slumber

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Are those sidebowl carbs? If so, clean the bowl and throat, main jet and idle restrictor tube, and clean out the idle passages that leads to the pinholes in the throat. Also clean the main fuel passage (vertical brass tube), that leads to the throat.

Replace floats, all gaskets, inlet needle and seat, plus inlet needle seat gasket (if you have one).

Your wiring sounds bad. Wired shorting to each other often lead to burned out ign components which can be expensive. Engine wiring harnesses are avail on the web.

The general stuff is in the thread Scott proposed.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The older sidebowl carbs had banjo filters under their caps. These need to be replaced also.

Steve the greek

Seaman Apprentice
Are those sidebowl carbs? If so, clean the bowl and throat, main jet and idle restrictor tube, and clean out the idle passages that leads to the pinholes in the throat. Also clean the main fuel passage (vertical brass tube), that leads to the throat.

Replace floats, all gaskets, inlet needle and seat, plus inlet needle seat gasket (if you have one).

Your wiring sounds bad. Wired shorting to each other often lead to burned out ign components which can be expensive. Engine wiring harnesses are avail on the web.

The general stuff is in the thread Scott proposed.

Thanks heaps guys
You have been a great help
​Also I take it the two bottom carbs numbered the same does not matter ??
​Cheers and Thanks again
Steve

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Different numbers may have something to do with the linkage that goes from carburetor to carburetor.----Bottom 2 may have a different shaft as compared to the top !