Mercury 90hp tower not peeing out pee hole

ulmenstine09

Cadet
so since i had such a fun time on my buddys boat last night with all his problems i said hey maybe il go and start up the deep v rinker since its been in the garage all season besides to run it in the spring and i changed the plugs.. i just got this last june. ran great for the most part no issues. how ever put it up for the winter.. garage kept.. not outdoors. tryed to start it in the spring around may june of 2017 had a hell of a time getting it to start without starter fluid.. once it started it stayed running.. didnt notice nothing wrong with the pee hole at this time that i can recall. well so i go to start it and i noticed that more water is coming from the muffs / engine flushing thing that i hook my hose to.. but when i let it run for a few mins.. it will spit / mist a small amount of water from the hole. but steam comes out too. so i shut it off ... now let me ask u cause i just read something about maybe i need to have mine tilted to get it to pee out the hole.to keep the engine cool? i dont think i have a temp gage just speed only. its a deep v rinker 1986 with that being said i had a hard time finding the model / make so i ran the serial and came back with. Mercury 1983 90hp Model 1090523 Merc90 so with the bit delay on getting it started without starter fluid. im gonna try to change the gas tomorrow. but the pee hole is what im worried about.. also i notice cause i was out past dark working on trying to figgure it out. i notice when i got the engine running i get a spark every now and then in one area on the driver side .. so back right side if u r staring at the prop to the right of the plugs.. i got a small video clip not sure i can post it yet but is that normal.. if anyone can help me trouble shoot with some tips here or even point me in a general area to start to look. need a manual on how to take it apart too but im sure i can call merc and get it . not to sure about that 100% from what i was reading is they call this a tower.

not sure why i cant post videos maybe cause im new so i uploaded them to my server..

http://light-speed-hosting.com/myboat/video-1509952618.mp4
http://light-speed-hosting.com/myboat/video-1509952681.mp4
http://light-speed-hosting.com/myboat/video-1509952687.mp4
these will show u what im talkin about.. i dont have a problem paying for a service manual. but i dont claim to be a mechanic. im a plumber but if i can save a few dollars to know its done right il do it my self... thanks and happy to be a part of this group. if anyone needs any space for a website i can give them some .. no charge just no illegal activity on it. i dont need the drama.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Change the waterpump impeller

Stop using statter fluid, rebuild your carbs and do a linc-n-sync

Scott Danforth

Staff member
read up on it. it is the linking and syncing process with multi-carbed motors. required after a rebuild. failure to do so properly will burn up the upper two cylinders in you tower of power

ulmenstine09

Cadet
i think i know whats going on.. i think i got a bad lower seal. if that makes since from what i researched .. i thought it was sand in the prop but i know its not cause i aint been on the water with it since last fall.

ulmenstine09

Cadet
No Title

i just put this new prop on last fall and aint been on it since..

Attachments

• photo280486.jpg
    photo280486.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0

tommarvin

Ensign
Frank Acampora has a perfect n sync on youtube, its on a Force but a carbs a carb.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
i think i know whats going on.. i think i got a bad lower seal. if that makes since from what i researched .. i thought it was sand in the prop but i know its not cause i aint been on the water with it since last fall.

you wont know until you pull it apart. could simply be un-burned fuel coming from your gummed up carbs

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The engine in the video has blue cowl decals, in 84 brown was the colour changed to brown
The manual shown is for a later 3 cylinder, nothing nothing in common, except transom bracket

Is water coming out of the prop? Is water coming out of the slots/holes above the anti-ventilation plate?

Run a piece of weed eater twine up the telltale hose

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
its not 83 its 84

You did say it was an 84 in that post

The cooling system that engine has could not be any simpler, no stat or pressure valves. Water is pumped into the bottom of the block, rises around the combustion chamber, spills over down the exhaust cover, then fills the midsection and finally drains overboard. Some water is tapped off the block for the telltale.

Last edited:

ulmenstine09

Cadet
You did say it was an 84 in that post

The cooling system that engine has could not be any simpler, no stat or pressure valves. Water is pumped into the bottom of the block, rises around the combustion chamber, spills over down the exhaust cover, then fills the midsection and finally drains overboard. Some water is tapped off the block for the telltale.

thank you....