Mercury 2.5 hp 4-stroke idle screw access

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
This is a newer engine with less than 20 hours, and it doesn't idle when warm. So, being a newbie to outboards, I opened it up, turned a screw-with-spring setting that seemed like it should be the idle setting, but it did nothing. Any help in locating this screw appreciated.

tommarvin

Ensign
What is wrong with your motor, for you to turn up the idle screw?
Its just a guess , its not idling very well.
If its a newer engine guessing EFI.
Do you have a factory service manual so you can work on your motor?
I would eliminate the fuel system first.
EFI will not run on old gas. remove old gas.
If fuel lines are over eight years change them all to USCG A1 tank to VST add fuel water separator, new primer ball.
change on motor fuel filter
clean injectors, install new filter on the injectors on youtube
remove stat put in hot water watch open and close on youtube
adjust valves, when cold on youtube
Change water pump impeller.on you tube
Do you have a way to rear error codes for your motor, a blinking light, software.

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, the reason I want to find the idle screw is because the engine won't idle. As I said, it's a newer engine, only a few years old and hardly used. I don't have the factory service manual, but will see about getting one; that would be the best idea if I want to fix this issue on my own.

tommarvin

Ensign
"A few years old and hardly used" means its time to do some perfect maintance, so you don't have problems when its time to go boating.
Turning up the idle screw because it wont idle means you need to do some perfect maintance.
You are not alone, there are us who do perfect maintance, and those that don't and have problems,aggravation, and end up selling there boat, there whole boating experience was a big bad mistake, when it could have be another priceless day on the water with family,friends its up to you.
Are you going to do the list above, or sell the boat now.