Wiring new Tachometer on 1998 Mercury 75 HP Optimax Tiller

limbwalker

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry to start a bummer thread on something maybe as simple as a tach but when ya dont know well its best to ask the people that maybe do know.. I read a good starting place is the possibilty there might be 2 Grey wires running to the stator but thats the limit of what i have picked up thus far.. guessing i need 3 wires to make it work ( i havent purchased tach yet, so maybe someone could help me selecting the right unit) 1 for pulse, 1 power for backlight and 1 ground wire...

thank you in advance !!

tommarvin

Ensign
I've never heard of a tach on a tiller motor, you must really want it to go through all this.
I would check with mercury first to see if they have a tach for your year model., they might have direction on how to install it.

limbwalker

Seaman Apprentice
A Tiller has an engine attached to the end of a steering lever same as a wheeled model so sure we still benefit from having a tach to prop our rigs. Serious Walleye guys especially are running larger displacement outboards every year amd 200hp Tiller Assist or power steering models arent all that uncommon

tommarvin

Ensign
Nothing personal limbwalker, where do you mount the tach.
Just curios, how long are the boats they put 200hp on them. Are walleye boats like bass boats?

limbwalker

Seaman Apprentice
The tach is typically mounted port side in either an existing storage compartment or you can always make an enclosure to house it. The Walleye boats these big Tiller models are being used on are anywhere from 18?-20?+ in length. I just installed a new 90HO Evinrude Tiller which is rated at 100HP on my older 20? Lund Alaskan. Some of us feel a steering wheel/side console in a utility boat takes up too much room and simply prefer a Tiller to maneuver our rigs.