Merc 20hp 4 stroke - first bottom end gear oil change

Aelk799

Recruit
Doing the gear oil change for the 1st time by myself on a 2015 20 hp 4 stroke. Went to dealer and he gave me the gear oil with pump kit and new washers. Drained the gear oil. Both the pump barb and washers are TOO big! Motor seems to be manufactured in Japan. The gear oil/pump kit from Quicksilver says "fits most Mercurys". What's the deal. What size is the hole and nut in my motor? Is it metric or SAE? Seems an adapter is available, but what the washers?

Thanks

tommarvin

Ensign
Sounds like the dealer gave you the wrong kit.
Relax, don't think about it anymore today, take it back on Monday and get the correct kit.
Or look it up in your service and repair manual, or online to verify the size.
Good for you to get new seals/washers, some people reuse there washers/seals until they leak water and destroy the lower unit.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Most lube oil pumps come with an adapter. Sounds like your dealer don't know squat if you got the wrong size gaskets and no adapter too.

Welcome aboard.

Aelk799

Recruit
thanks everyone. successfully completed. However, has anyone ever used a drag link socket to remove the drain screws OR has anyone switched out the slotted screw with a hex bolt or allen wrench? The existing screw just seems like poor engineering...any reason for the use of a slotted screw?

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
If I can't loosen the drain/vent screws with a large slotted screwdriver, I use a hand impact driver and bit (with a hammer)...works every time.