Check valve

engrkenr

Cadet
I have a 1968 Merc Model 60 (6 Hp) motor. In the parts list for the fuel pump besides the customary gaskets and diaphragm (ref: 21-22974A-3) are 2 "check valves". What are their function and what would be the symptoms if they were malfunctioning or shy?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Check valves are one way valves, and are normally part of a fuel pump in 2 cycle outboards. 2 Cycle OBs use the pulses of the crankcase to drive a diaghram in and out. The check valves only allow fuel to be drawn from the fuel line to the fuel tank and pumped to the engine.

tommarvin

Ensign
Why not get new check valves, and all other yearly new maintance/winterizing parts you need, you don't want to get stuck out there.

engrkenr

Cadet
Chris1956, I suspected your answer on the check valve would be the story and may be the root cause of my lack of high speed performance. The repair kit part drawing shows 2 check valves (with gaskets & diaphragm) but, the exploded view drawing of the fuel system shows only 1 check valve positioned in the line between the pump and inlet to the fuel screen. It would seem to me that only 1 is used but the part kit provides 2 for reasons unknown. Do you know why?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----All these pumps use 2 check valves !!----One lets fuel into the pump and closes so fuel does not go back to the tank.----One opens to let fuel go to the carburetor and closes so that fuel does not come back to the pump.