1997 mariner 3.3 shift rod came out

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While removing the water pump housing shift rod came out with it. I put it back in until it bottomed out then slowly pulled up and down approx 3/4" it felt like it was shifting but the prop spins freely and drive shaft doesn't. I'm hoping I can repair it without disassembling the gear case any advice is greatly appreciated.

tommarvin

Ensign
I would get a service and repair manual, or maybe you-tube its not that easy to put a shift shaft back together.
We had a Force 125, it was almost impossible to get it back on , but a guy in this forum knew a way.

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at the parts diagrams it appears small pins hold the shaft in a collar but no idea how to put it together. This is my first mariner I'm used to omc.

tommarvin

Ensign
Relax, you have all winter to get this right no hurries no worries, never give up, keep thinking about it, watch all the you-tube videos not just one.You will figure it out.

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No such luck. Down here in Louisiana this is the time of year I retire my bay boat and start using flat boat as fish move inland for winter. That's why I was servicing the water pump. Can't find anything on youtube or in forums. Most only refer to connecting rods together or problems higher up. Looking at parts diagram the upper pin #13 is in the cam rod #12 but there was no pin in lower end of cam rod where it connects to clutch cam #11. Anyone know if I can reconnect without disassembling gear case?

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got a repair manual download and after instructions for lower unit removal it says "disassemble gear case and inspect for problems" then explains how to install lower unit, no instructions on gear case. For a more detailed manual which one should I get Solec, Clymer, or Mercury?

Fed

Commander
Just taking a passing interest here hpp.
Did the clutch cam come out or just the cam rod?
Could the pin have fallen out on the floor?
Has it ever worked or is it new to you?

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Motor worked ok just needed new impeller. Just the cam rod came out. Never saw bottom pin when it came out, might be in gear case. I didn't verify prop and drive shaft engaging before reassembly. Didn't know about lower pin until I found parts diagram while researching why it wouldn't shift. I'll have to remove water pump again and investigate further.