2006 90HP Optimax won't crank up

stealthmanx2

Cadet
Couple of weeks ago I spent about 5 hours on the lake. Cranked up the engine and was trolling over to another spot. After a few minutes the engine started to sputter and quit. I would try to start and it would start up for about 2 seconds and shut off. This happened again and again. Got the boat home and removed the VST and checked for contaminants and very little at the bottom where the filter sits. No water in the fuel and jumpered both pumps and they worked. Replaced the filter and checked the screens on the primary fuel pump which were good and re-installed the VST. Put new gas in a 2 gallon jug and dipped the hose in and tried cranking and nothing. Pulled plugs and they were wet and checked for spark and had spark. Next I checked the fuses (3x20A and 1x5A) and they were good. It isn't the kill switch because the pumps don't even turn on with it in off, and with the switch on I can hear them prime. What else could cause this engine to not fire up when it's getting fuel and spark????

tommarvin

Ensign
1.Low pressure fuel pump, does gas pump out.
2.There should never be anything at the bottom of a VST ever, did you clean the screen at the bottom, ours were 90% plugged .
3.A fuel water separator is standard equipment , if you never want fuel problems.
4.Do you have high pressure fuel flow at vst.
5.How old is the fuel in the motor, fuel injectors will not run on old gas.
6.We cleaned our fuel injectors today they were 50% plugged, you tube explained it perfectly on first page.
7. When you get bored this winter adjust your valves, when cold.
8, Pull the plugs, squirt in one ounce of gas, it will be flooded the first few cranks, but when she fires, you know its fuel, Frank Acampora thank you for telling me that trick.
.9. Shes not getting fuel.

stealthmanx2

Cadet
1. I jumpered the pumps and what little gas was in the pump shot out.
2. junk was hose residue, cleaned everything out. My VST didn't have a screen at the bottom of it. Are you talking the screen on the primary pump (square piece that hooks to the front of the VST)? If so, I took it apart and no junk on it.
3. ?
4. I have not thrown a gauge to check pressure, but know I have fuel going into the cylinders.
5. Fuel is about 3 1/2 months old. Drained the tank and there is no water and no yellowing of fuel. I ran brand new fuel through and still nothing.
6. What is the youtube link?
7. Will look into that.
8. I used WD-40 (brother-in-law said he did it on his outboard and worked), but can squirt in actual gas.
9. She's getting fuel and spark. Without a gauge I cannot say it is enough though. I put my finger over the spark plug hole while cranking and it pushed my finger away from the hole. Once again, no gauge so don't know exactly how much compression cylinder has.

stealthmanx2

Cadet
I put fuel in the cylinder and it cranked for a second. Trying to pull the injectors, disconnected the wire and two allen screws/bracket. The injector rotates, but won't come out. How much pull pressure does it take to remove these out of the rail?

tommarvin

Ensign
Did the motor fire after you put fuel in the cylinders?
Our injectors pulled out easy, rock them back and forth as you pulling out.
Junk in vst was from old hose ethanol disolves fuel hose change all on motor and off motor fuel lines. there probably gooey.
Do you have a malfunction indicator light to read the error codes on your motor? we have a 2002 and have it you should \have something.
boatinfo.no
Your sure theres spark.

stealthmanx2

Cadet
tommarvin, it spun up for a second or two after I put the gas in the cylinders. However, it pretty much does the same thing every time I let it sit for a few hours. It will start and then shut down. If I try it again immediately afterward it just turns. I cannot pull my injectors out to save my life, not sure if there's a vacuum or what. I did get one out, but that was because I removed the retainer and the pressure blew it out of the whole about 10 feet. Looked at the screen and didn't notice any obstruction. The metal outer part by the spray end looked like it had scaling. The only place in the vst that had the hose material was below the filter, so nothing should have gotten past. I replaced the main hose and pumped out 8 gallons. No indicator light and not beeps. I pulled my plugs and hooked them in the wire harness and turned the engine over, brother-in-law saw good spark.
@Aflyingscott, took everything apart first as I thought it would be something simple. Looking to take it to a dealer as I'm thinking it has something to do with the computer. Can't test the injectors like normal style as fuel goes through the side screens and then shot into cylinder.

tommarvin

Ensign
If your boating season is over like ours you have months to go through everything and make it perfect.
There is a long list of things you need to do before you take it to the dealer,PM me for the list if interested, don't want to waste time if your not interested.
We need to eliminate fuel first, you have not done that yet, you didn't even get the injectors out yet.
You said there was ethanol damaged gooey hose material in the vst, this is not perfect maintance.
Slow down man your going to fast, Let take it step by step from the beginning, if your interested.

stealthmanx2

Cadet
How do you test whether or not fuel is coming out of the direct injection style injector? I know on your basic you jumper a AA and fill a syringe with gas and push the gas through. Go ahead and PM me the list and in the mean time I'll try and get the other two injectors out as well as the fuel rail. There wasn't any gooey hose material, more like solid particles laying at the bottom of the section where the fuel filter sits. I didn't see anything in the section where the pumps are located.

stealthmanx2

Cadet
No Title

Got some time and I was finally able to get the injectors out by using a screw driver. The first pic is that of the hole the injector sit in. Not sure what it is, but you can see some white stuff floating in the little pool of fuel. The screen on this injector has a hole in it and it appears to have scaling on the injector tip. I pulled the rail back and popped out the piece that actually goes into the cylinder (secondary injector??) and the tips were black with soot. Cleaned them all off and put it all back together. It popped off for a second but then nothing. I shot fuel in the top and middle cylinders and it popped off again for a second or two.

Attachments

• photo280001.jpg
    photo280001.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280002.jpeg
    photo280002.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Why are you taking the injectors off. What do you think the chances of all 3 injectors failing at the same time. That injector uses air to atomize the fuel. Without a scan you have no idea what is happening. Are you sure the EMM is functioning? Have you checked all the electrical connections for a tight fit? Have you done a compression test? A proper spark Test? That is not a simple motor to work on and pulling the injectors is the last thing that should be done. The pump gets it's signal from the EMM. You need to have the motor scanned. The are several things that control the injectors on that motor and if the plugs are wet you are getting fuel.

Last edited:

stealthmanx2

Cadet
I pulled the injectors to make sure they were not gunked up. In order to see if one of the injectors is bad you have to pull all three correct? Or is there a magic ball out there? Sorry for the sarcasm, but I never said all three failed nor did I suspect all three. However, all three need to be pulled to look. I did have some break down of the rubber hose. I have checked all the connections. I did state earlier that I did not do a proper compression check but when I put my finger over the hole it was pushed away with quite a bit of force. If the compression was weak it would not have done that. Same with spark, not a proper check, but the spark was nice and strong. As you stated with the injectors, the chances of all 3 coils failing... I am leaning toward it being either the computer or maybe the air compressor. Have heard those are prone to fail and it's used in fuel delivery.