Which type of flywheel puller is best?

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
75 hp Mercury motor. 1986 model. I'm looking to put in a new stator and I've never taken my flywheel out. I'm seeing two types of flywheel pullers out there:

1. The 'lifting ring' type that just screws down deep into the flywheel, pushing it up.
2. The 'harmonic balancer' type with the flat metal piece and the bolts that screw into the flywheel.

Is one type better than the other? Looks like I'll have to order one. Can't find one in a store.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Word of caution. GA Boater is right about that one. If that flywheel has never been off, you may wish to enlist some help so the motor doesn't move ( spin) backwards when removing the nut. I had to rap on mine with a hammer handle and soak with liquid wrench to get it to come off when I replaced my stator. I have a 77 Merc 500.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'll do the free loaner from Autozone for the compression tester. LOL

Getting the crank nut off can be a bear. I think I used a breaker bar and tapped the starter to break the nut loose. Tightening the nut called for a strap wrench which can also be used to break to loosen it.

Used a harmonic balancer puller - Never again.

llyons

Seaman
The flywheel nut was a little tough but with a auto pry bar you can find a way to hold the flywheel teeth in place while putting some leverage on the nut. Some PB Blaster can be useful applied a few minutes before. The best kind of puller is the one that threads into the inside of the flywheel. This was the toughest part for me. You need something to hold the flywheel and the motor because it will turn. I used the pry bar from before and wrapped my arm around the motor some and slowly turned the big bolt thats part of the flywheel puller. I was able to find a puller for $15.00 from heartland products.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Ma...4T1-/311911945406?vxp=mtr&hash=item489f6694be

tommarvin

Ensign
Have you tested your stator to make sure its bad? Nothing worse than buying an expensive ignition part and it fix's nothing.
What is your motor doing that makes you think its the stator .

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you tested your stator to make sure its bad? Nothing worse than buying an expensive ignition part and it fix's nothing.
What is your motor doing that makes you think its the stator .

1. Occasional sudden stalls for no reason. Running along nicely at about 50% throttle when RPMs just drop and the motor quits, even though I throw it in neutral and raise the idle. Adding throttle only hastens the stall. Hard to restart, but when it does, no more repeat of that weird stall for the rest of the day.
2. Sometimes stall after a couple of bounces, like crossing some rollers.Same difficult restart.
3. Electrical issues: Fishfinder sometimes displays "Battery Voltage High" and shuts off. New voltmeter gauge in a switchpanel reads 17V or higher when motor is running. My motor does not have a voltage regulator.

I'm doing the worst thing, I know, throwing parts at a problem, but a guy I know who is sometimes right about these things said it sounds like the stator. I do need to test it.

tommarvin

Ensign
I agree, the guy you know is a very trusted friend, fishing bud or other , trying to fix the problem, so you can go fishing/boating a day on the water is priceless.
Is your motor supposed to have a voltage regulator, our 1987 force 125 had a rectifier. can you add one .
Would you bet your life the fuel system is perfect, tank clean,new USCG A1 fuel line from tank to on motor fuel filter, new,fuel water separator, new primer ball.On motor fuel filter new,
Do you have a malfunction indicator light for reading error codes.
Carbs cleaned and rebuilt.