Mercury XR2 150 Compression question

Coon Krazy

Recruit
I finally found the boat I?ve wanted for years.. It has a 1986 XR2 150 on it. Cranks, isles and runs good. Compression on this motor is 110-115 on all 6. No way I can afford to build a motor anytime soon. Is these numbers I need to worry about? I?m aware of the 10% between cylinders. But just making sure these are good numbers. And how much life is left in this motor at them numbers?

Coon Krazy

Recruit
Let me rephrase what i said.. I know them are good numbers. But my question is.. is that good numbers for that particular motor?

Dukedog

Captain
those should be fine.. check with another gauge ta compare.. leak down test will be tha game changer if tha rings/pistons are weak.. if it runs out good at any speed from idle ta wot and everywhere in between should be good ta go........

tommarvin

Ensign
Good for you to find the boat you wanted for years.
If you do perfect maintance, the motor will out live you.This is what we do.
1.Decarb with one part seafoam 16oz to a quart of gas, watch you -tube videos
2.Drain and fill lower unit with 100% synthetic gear lube
3.Im guessing not a four stroke, remove prop,
4.Add fuel stabilizer to fuel in tank.
5.remove fuel from fuel bowls from carbs and fuel lines.
6,remove lower unit, put in shop, take apart water pump, get a new impeller install the first day of new boating season you-tube..
7.Make sure you have a fuel water separator.
8.100% synthetic 2 stroke oil doesn't smoke very much.
9. grease splines on drive shaft.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?----An XR2 is not a 4 stroke model!-----Find a shop to inspect cylinder walls with a boroscope !!.

Dukedog

Captain
"Im guessing not a four stroke" ... guessed right.. you jus confirmed it for 'em... gotcha.