Trick to removal of PTT lower Swivel Pin

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I am working on a '93 Merc V6. It has the two trim cylinders plus a single tilt cylinder. I am trying to remove the lower swivel pin, to replace the leaking oring seals. I have removed the cross pin, but the lower swivel pin is stubborn. Any tricks to avoid beating it and possibly breaking the casting?

Dukedog

Captain
lower pin, center "tilt" cylinder?... best from memory.. knurled part is on tha "outside end" so has to driven out from tha inside (transom side) out.. maybe?.. i'm old!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Correct, lower pin, from the trim cylinders to the center tilt cylinder. Pin runs side to side, but no knurled part I can see,

Thinking about it, the pin provides the PTT oil passageway to the center cylinder, so it is likely the starboard side (motor/pump side) of the pin has oil. I will guess the port side of the pin has no oil and is the one stuck.

I will put some gentle heat on it and see if it improves. Thanks

Dukedog

Captain
my bad.. think you talkin' 'bout shaft assy?.. I was referin' to tha small "drive in pin" attachin' tha tilt cyl...... right 'bout tha oilin' part.... needs ta come out left to right.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I did get it to come apart. Took gentle heat on the port side, followed with a spray of penetrating oil. As the metal cooled, it sucked some oil into the joint. Then a firm rap with a hammer and drift.

The port side yoke had some sort of fabric liner. Maybe a bit of emery cloth with the grit missing? I did not see anything like it on the parts list.

Ever hear of anything like it?

Captain Nino

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Would the heat and oil trick work with the cross pin? Mine is stuck so tight that I ruined a punch and the pin did not budge. is there any trick to getting it out?

Dukedog

Captain
I did get it to come apart. Took gentle heat on the port side, followed with a spray of penetrating oil. As the metal cooled, it sucked some oil into the joint. Then a firm rap with a hammer and drift.

The port side yoke had some sort of fabric liner. Maybe a bit of emery cloth with the grit missing? I did not see anything like it on the parts list.

Ever hear of anything like it?

seems like tha shaft "kit" had something like that in but its been a very long time......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Duke. I think the pin is tight enough w/o any cloth liner.

Nino, make sure you spray the trilobe pin with penetrating oil. Then some heat and spray again. They are usually driven in from the back of the boat, so you need to drive it out from the transom side of the motor. I removed the starboard transom clamp and freed the PTT unit, so I could prop up the motor and tie the unit to the gearcase. This allowed a bit more room to pound on the trilobe pin, from underneath.

Make sure the engine is tilted up and blocked securely. If it swings down and you are under it...it will be very dangerous.