2007 Mercury 115 EFI 4 stroke, using/losing oil

Hazzard123

Recruit
I have a 2007 Mercury 115 EFI 4 stroke engine that is losing oil somewhere. Haven't seen any topics on this subject that match my issue but hopefully someone can help me identify the issue. The engine runs fine but after a couple days of causal boating the engine oil will be low (like a quart low). I have not been able to locate the source of the leak and the engine does not smoke at all while running so I don't think it's burning the oil. I have noticed no oil on the water while the boat is in use and no oil is present on the outside of the engine while the boat is on the lift. I've only noticed a small amount of oily residue near the breather/intake area.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Engines can consume oil without showing a "blue cloud". If there are no external leaks, it is likely consuming it. Next time you pull the dip stick, smell it. If it smells like gasoline, there is a leaky injector(s) or the pressure regulator may leak fuel into the engine diluting the oil which could contribute to high oil consumption. That said, this failure typically results in oil level that rises because of the gas added to oil.

tommarvin

Ensign
Oh no we have twin 2002 115hp EFI.
Good for you to pull the dip stick and catch it..
Before we lose contact now , please PM me when you find out for sure.why the oil leaked.
Its not sounding good, two days boating, quart low.
Oh are the plugs fouled? Drain plug leaking, oil filter leaking,are the oil ring(s) leaking.
Keep adding oil, and go boating, until you know for sure or which cylinder it is .
I can help you rebuild it if it comes to that, I live in WA state