2 stroke marine engine top end break in oil mix

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi guys

In general, whether it be Mercury, yamaha, jet ski or other...and given the oil injection system is still in use..
What should I mix the tank with for the top end break in procedure ?
Was thinking for starters, a tank full @60l at 100/1 or maybe less ? Then follow the usual breaking up and down the revs with cool downs etc.
Would this be too much oil alongside the oil injection system ?

Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A 50:1 premix in the fuel tank and with oil injection will yield 25:1 at higher RPM's and less from idle if the oil injection is sophisticated. If not a fancy injection system, it would be 25:1 at all RPM's.

50:1 premix is recommended if you aren't sure about the health of the injection.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks guys. It's a progressive oil injection system.
I've added about 400ml to 50l of fuel so far. Il do the maths and take it from there. Maiden voyage tomorrow !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
All went well today guys. Ended up mixing the tank with 400ml of rock oil semi synthetic oil in 50l of fuel.
Went through two sets of plugs and even cleaned them once each too. 5 hours break in done so far. Towards the end of the day gave her a couple of blips. Like a wee rocket ship now. Really pleased.
Thanks guys. I'll maybe dilute the tank some more with fresh and untreated fuel. Struggled to use half a tank in 5 hours.
Currently the oil injection tank has yamalube fully synthetic oil in it. This worries me. Think I would rather some mineral or semi for a break in.