Conversion of 1987 35 hp mercury from manual to electric start

harrylewisjudd

Recruit
I?ve obtained a electric flywheel, solenoid rectifier and starter. The current motor has a switch box from whence the stator wires emit wiring for stator trigger and coils. How do I integrate new components into the system specifically the new rectifier. I understand the two wires from the stator attach to the stator and a positive lead then hooks into the system on the non-starter side of the solenoid. The question I have deals with the switch box and it?s wiring and function. If the wires from the stator go to the solenoid doesn?t that cause an interruption of current flow needed for the coils etc, do I need to split the wires from the stator and connect to both the switch box and the solenoid for proper function.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Did you get the alternator coils. The rectifier has nothing to do with the switch box. The charging system is a stand alone system, you need to find a wiring diagram.

harrylewisjudd

Recruit
No I was under the supposition that as long as a stator was present it would provide essential current for the system as it does now and by adding a rectifier you could then assure recharge to the battery. Is this wrong?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The stator on a manual start only provides power for the ignition, it cannot also charge the battery. Look up the parts for your motor to find out what you need. I believe the charging part will have yellow wires coming out of it.