How to check DVA on a coil?

20hpmercury

Cadet
I am troubleshooting my 1994 90hp 3cyl Mercury 0G049145 with the switchbox/coil/stator/trigger/voltage reg/rectifier and replaced all of the ignition parts with new CDI parts.

​Motor does not idle well, sneezes or coughs every 10sec during idle and surges mid rpm's. Sometimes dies and can not restart. Checking out the ignition to rule that out and will check for fuel issues next. Also installed all new grounds everywhere.

​So, got all of the CDI DVA target numbers and all check out ok following all of the CDI literature except I have a question on how to check the coils.

If I disconnect any of the 3 (grn red/grn wht/grn) wires from switchbox to coil and while cranking (300-400rpm) I get DVA numbers 160+ from any of the green wires to ground; so CDI says >150DVA is good so I think this is ok.

​However if I connect the one of the green wires to the + coil, again while cranking, with spark on the plug, the DVA drops to 85DVA for + coil terminal to ground.

​So how do you check the DVA on a coil? with the switch box green wire connected to the coil with the plug sparking OR with the green wire disconnected? and DVA dropping to 85 with the green wire connected does not sound good to me??? I would think you should still be getting 150+DVA on the coil + terminal with the coil still hooked up and the spark plug sparking.

​Any advice is much appreciated!