a Lower Gear Case Gear Oil Question: How much is too much?

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy all! I was wondering when I should stop filling my lower after changing the gear oil? I have a 1984 Merc 75HP Mariner.
Here's what I do: After removing bottom plug and top vent and thoroughly draining, I screw in my QuickSIlver pump into the bottom and pump until it first starts coming out of the top vent. At this point I wait about five seconds for the thick gear oil to settle down and keep doing that until even the slightest pump makes the excess oil come out the top. Is that excessive? or a good practice? I can usually get 4 or 5 extra pumps in before it simply won't take even one more drop. Also, I have my lower exactly vertical when doing this.
My thinking is that Mercury engineers have positioned that 'vent' so that you CAN'T get too much oil in it. I'm assuming the gear case needs some room for the oil to expand when things get going at high speeds.
So I'd like to hear you guys weigh in on this topic. When you FIRST see the oil at the top should I stop, or go ahead and wait for it to settle and put the max amount in?

Thanks in advance!
Glen in New Hampshire