Water Pump not Pumping

Abower94

Recruit
So I have been battling the water pump in my 2010 mercury 50 hp elpto outboard from the day I bought it used. Being a new boat owner I was not fully aware of how strong the stream your telltale should have. For the first few time I had it out water would more or less trickle out of the tell tale. After realizing this I ended up replacing the impeller and gasket and had the same results. I took it all apart again and blew water down there system through the thermostat housing also replacing the thermostat and gasket. I ended up finding a lot of small stones and debris. After doing all of this I now have no water coming out at all and the over heat alarm goes off ( continuous beep ). Completely lost here, any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Andrew

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the lower unit, flush out the crud from your water jacket, pump cavity, etc.

if your old impeller had pieces missing, find them in the motor and retrieve them.

Abower94

Recruit
Is there filter before water pump?

I have a 2010 Merc 50 hp 2 stroke elpto outboard and have been struggling with my water pump. I was wondering if there is some sort of filter or screen at the intake on the lower unit before the water reaches the impellar?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there may be an intake screen, however it would just be small enough to keep rock out of the pump