Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Mercury outboard won't stay idling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury outboard won't stay idling

My Mercury 40hp 2 stroke (2001) won't stay idling and I really need an advice as to what could be wrong with it. Let me provide you with all the facts. I have also attached a video of it dying while it idles for about a minute (sometimes shorter).

- The outboard keeps idling when I push the "choke/enrichment" button before it's about to die by pressing the key in. Yes, it's an electric start. When I press the key in, the engine starts revving higher in rpm for a bit and returns to the normal rpm and then the engine dies.

- I have cleaned the carburetor (WME 2XK) very thoroughly. I used a carb cleaner, air blow gun and a piece of wire to clean out all the jets and holes. They didn't seem blocked but I made sure anyway. Before I cleaned the carb, I noticed that it was actually very clean without any varnish or gum. I properly set the float per my Mercury Repair Manual. Replaced all the gaskets and the needle.

- I doubt it's the fuel pump and here is why. The engine keeps running so long as I push the choke button. Also the primer bulb stays firm and the fuel filter stays full of fuel while running the engine. I can see the fuel level in the semi-transparent fuel filter canister. Also, keeping pressing the primer bulb, which is already almost firm does not prevent the engine to die.

- After starting, when I push the throttle lever up in neutral position, it still dies. So probably no IAC issue?

- It dies even if I use fresh fuel. Whatever is in my old fuel tank is only about one or two months old.

- There is fuel in the carb bowl when I unscrew the nut.

- Possible fuel hose blockage? When I press the primer bulb in the beginning, it fills the fuel filter right up so I don't feel there is any blockage from the fuel tank to fuel filter. After the engine dies, when I unscrew the carb bowl, enough fuel spills out so I don't think the hose from the filter into the carb is blocked either.

It sure sounds like a classic blocked carb jet issue, but I swear the carb is clean and EVERY hole and jet is unblocked. So at this point, I really have NO idea what's wrong with this thing.

You haven't mentioned if you tried adjusting the idle mixture?

Comment

Yup I tried adjusting the idle mixture screw but it doesn't help. It's currently set at the number of rotation based on the manual. I turned half turn counterclockwise each time and tried until the screw was getting loose and it still died.

Comment

The setting in the manual is an initial setting and the final ideal setting is usually leaner

Comment

I just adjusted the idle mixture at leaner settings clockwise 1/4 turn each until I couldn't start anymore but each time it still died.

Comment

How does she run at wot on the water ?

Comment

It keeps running fine at wot on the water. As soon as I reduce the speed to near idle, it sputters and dies again.

Comment

Need to post results of a compression test.-----Followed by a spark check.------Does spark jump a gap of 3./8" or more, yes or no ?

Comment

You don't mention that you changed the spark plugs ? Or did you ?

Comment

I'm getting a spark tester this afternoon. Will update. As far as the compression, 110 and 115 psi for both cylinders. Spark plugs are about two weeks old.

Comment

Here is an update to what I found out today.

I get good sparks as they jump the gap of at least 3/8" or more.

While idling before it dies, when I pump the throttle lever up and down, I am able to keep the engine going.

Also, I have a Mercury kicker that uses the same fuel line connector as my big Mercury. So I swapped the hose and primer bulb and tried. Same result. It dies during idle. The kicker motor never had ANY issues and the bulb and hoses are pretty new. So I believe I eliminated the primer bulb / hose issues too at this point.

Still very puzzled about this...

Comment

Have you checked the timing at idle? I had an Evinrude outboard that would run fine at WOT but would die at idle and only survived with constant choke bumps and the carbs were spotless. Do you own a timing light?

Comment

No I haven't checked timing at all. I don't have a timing light... Your evinrude's issue sounds like mine. Was it bad timing that caused your engine to die at idle?

Comment

it was a 1984 evinrude 70hp and the idle timing was supposed to be 4 degrees TDC (Top Dead Center) but somebody had messed with the linkages and it was now -3 degrees TDC, meaning that combustion was starting after TDC. His engine ran great at WOT because the idle timing and WOT timing are 2 different settings. People often mess with the timing linkages because they're trying to adjust the idle rpm. Does your boat have a tachometer? What is engine rpm at idle in neutral? It should be around 750 rpm in gear, so around 900rpm in neutral. I think it would be worth your while to purchase a timing light. Very useful. Have you ever timed an engine? Do you have the service manual?

Comment

Thanks for the idea about the idle timing. I do own a cheap Kedsum tachometer and last time I was idling at around 850-900 rpm. When I adjust the idle speed using the idle speed screw, it still stalls at idle. I don't own a timing light and have never timed an engine before so I'll study this and get a timing light if it's something I can tackle on my own. I guess I understand the concept that it could stall during idle if the combustion timing is off but it still goes on for about a minute before it dies. I'm not a mechanic so excuse my lack of knowledge. Just trying to understand. It's been a long discouraging process.

Comment

Working...
                              X