2006 Mercury 9.9 slowly drips oil when not in use?

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greeting Mercury Gurus! I have a 2006 Mercury 9.9 that had not been used for 3 years. It only has about 30 total hours run time.
When I initially tried to pull it over this fall (again hasn't been used to three years,) the cord would barely pull and just about a quarter pull. This was due to oil in the lower piston! I removed the plug and a whole lot of oil came out. (Was nice and clean oil.) When I put the plug back in it pulled over like it always had and started up: Obviously with some smoke, but that cleared and it seemed to run like normal. Now I notice on my garage floor after a few days there is a small half-dollar sized oil spot under the motor.
What doo you guys think is going on here and PLEASE tell me there is an easy fix.
Thanks in advance!
Glen in New Hampshire

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If I'm assuming correctly....yeah. It's an easy fix and very common.
You have stored it in the wrong position. You can only lay this vintage of 4 stroke engines on one side in particular....or oil runs into the cylinder or out the carb.
Have a look at the manual and it will tell you what side you can and cannot lay it on.

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can only lay this vintage of 4 stroke engines on one side in particular....or oil runs into the cylinder or out the carb.

Phew... Now THAT is good to hear! I thought that somehow the rings or a gasket had blown. THANK YOU QBhoy!!!