boatinfo.no website down

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Keep trying. This is not an uncommon occurrence with Boatinfo.

Fun Times

Staff member
Which GA's comment reminds me that a past member was somehow affiliated with boatinfo and had this to say last year,
August 14th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Hi

Unfortunately Boatinfo is down right now, we're sorry for the inconvenience.

The site has been running for 7 years without very little issues, and without any upgrades either.
It still uses a lot of Flash, it's completely outdated, not mobile-friendly, and was created in a time where tablets and smartphones weren't around, but it works !
The server hasn't been updated in at least 5 years, and in a somewhat stupid and futile attempt to upgrade some things, it crashed completely (note to self...leave things that work alone).

The good news is that the site, just as it was, will be up in a few days, this Saturday at the latest (we hope).
The server issues are almost solved, but everything has to be restored from backups etc. it takes a little while to get it all running again, the site is old and huge.

A message regarding the problem will be displayed on the site the coming week (it's already there, should come up as soon as DNS records are updated).

A newer, more modern version, where everything is in HTML5 etc. has been in the works for over a year, but with a site containing 350 000+ files, over 40 gigabytes of data (and no ads by the way), it's time consuming converting all the files, and making sure it looks the same, but it's coming, hopefully during the upcoming winter some time (that's what we said last winter too).
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/other/dockside-chat/10252942-boatinfo?p=10253218#post10253218
So maybe some of the same is happening right about now too.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I too have been trying to view it for the past week or so. What a wealth of information!!! I sure hope it comes back! If it isn't cost effective for him to keep it up, a donate page would be O,K, with me and probably others.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
boatinfo is back up.....for now

Status
Not open for further replies.