Red Stator Conversion - How's It Work?

VivaLaMigra

Seaman Apprentice
I'm not an electrical engineer so I'm not looking for a Physics 201 explanation here, but I have to admit I'm mystified by what Mercury did to ignition systems. First there's a stator with red and blue leads with high and low voltage, then there's a 'red' stator with a very expensive converter doohicky [priced over $100] that's connected to just the blue powerpack [ok, switchbox!] terminal. So, if it turns out that the red lead and the circuilt in the s/b aren't needed to run the motor, what was the point in the first place? And, what's with this 'bias circuit" - on a three-cyl motor a lead from the TRIGGER is connected there! I've heard explanation that the 'bias' is to prevent ignition over-advance which the trigger would cause at high RPM due to increasing voltage, and the bias circuit is supposed to compensate by increasing the threshold voltage of the switching transistor by impressing a negative voltage on it. Is that correct? And, if so, how's that work on the three-cylinder? Can someone give me a run-down besides the usual: "That's the way they made 'em" ? Thanks.

djrowe007

Seaman Apprentice
Hmm sounds like you got really in depth with the information I forgot from my classes

djrowe007

Seaman Apprentice
Some of those stators came with the adapter to change a 9 AMP stator to a 15 AMP stator