Motor running fine, lost 10mph off of top speed.

carpking

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everyone. I have a 22 ft deck boat with a 98 model Mercury 150 XR6 2 stroke on it. The boat has a top end speed of about 40mph. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the boat felt noticeably slower, 10 mph to be exact. The motor seemed to be running fine, other than what sounded like a very occasional miss. I assumed I had a fouled plug so I put a new set of plugs in and it made zero difference. Next, I cleaned the carbs and still made no difference. I am now at a loss. The drop in speed is consistent everytime except with the occasional miss or or "burp" in the motor. Someone said I could have a prop hub that is not totally spun but Ive never heard of one only partially spun. Any ideas on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's not the prop hub.

Check compression and spark on all cylinders.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What condition were the old spark plugs when you took them out, Was one or more of them fouled, or wet

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
My merc 150 ran like that,...Was dropping a cylinder at higher rpms,...

Had the power packs replaced and it's been good again,...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Is there a good way to test them if it only drops out at higher rpm?

Not really. Loose or corroded terminal connections along with broken/pinched wires have lead to many good switchboxes being unnecessarily replaced.

The trigger is usually suspected when a miss occurs at higher rpms but engine runs fine at lower speeds, and vice versa