rebuild of 2009 Mercury 50 HP 2 stroke 1050412FD

dstanden

Cadet
Hi, I'm looking at picking up a 2009 merc 50 2 stroke for $600. that had an oil injection issue and now has almost zero compression in one cylinder. Other than that it is mint and had very few hours on it. I've been searching around for a rebuild kit but it seems it's almost too new or a bit of an orphan. L.A.Sleeves do have a replacement sleeve if I need one but they don't have replacement pistons for that model sourced yet. Anyone have experience with this year of 50 HP? Is it that different from 2005 for which kits are available? Still looks like a baby L3. I have messaged a few kit manufactures but never received responses from any of them.
Mercury .015 oversize pistons are $160 each and ring sets are $60 each. Full aftermarket kits for previous years run around $700.
I'm always a sucker for a fix-er-upper but maybe this time I should back away or maybe run away!

I've done a few rebuilds in the past including a 89 Force 85 so the rebuild doesn't scare me just the possible OEM parts cost.

Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
had an oil injection issue and now has almost zero compression in one cylinder
Oil injection failure/problems dont take out single cylinders unless gear/bushing craps and feed into that cylinder. That motor design had problems with sleeve slipping if engine was overheated or lugged. It is a 2.992 bore Baby L3 and sleeves should be pinned into place during rebuild...

dstanden

Cadet
Thanks for your insight and reply. Seller claims compression as follows 110, 110, and Zero. Mechanic, not a marine mechanic, told him something came loose in the injection system and the engine wasn't getting oil. Told him $5000 Canadian to rebuild it. The seller repowered his boat with a new 4 stroke and he is selling the 2009.
He told me he heard a funny ticking and lost power. Powered her down and restarted and the noise continued. I'll have to investigate further and try a shine some light in the cylinder to see what's going on.
Thanks again.