Lower Unit

Hello everyone. I just bought a 1973 Sea Sprite with a blue lable 50 hp 500 Thunderbolt (3576141). It needs a new lower unit, anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
gotanotherboat

Your new thread after moving this out of an old thread about ignition problems, not even close to being on topic. Read the Help Tip on top of the page.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I found mine from a boat wrecker on ebay.

Sorry about that GA_Boater.
When I bought the boat, I was told that it needed a new lower unit. He said that he took it to a boat mechanic and he was told to replace the motor, it would be easier.
I am not sure what happened or how or why but the prop section with gears unscrewed itself somehow??? I think I have the parts just don't know if this can be put back together or what I need to do. I was planning on taking by my mechanic but wanted some input first. Thank you all for taking the time to help me out. I am new to this and just trying to learn. My photo is too large to put up I guess so I will try it again.

GA_Boater

You to make one more post and on #4 you can add pics. Click on the Forum Help in my sig and look at the photo tutorial - Don't use Photobucket to host pictures.

Are you saying the lower unit came off? The part the prop is attached to.

GA_Boater

Next post a picture, so :smile: Look at that tutorial, either Option 1 or 2 should work.

My first question is, does this just screw back in? Is there a special trick that I need to know for alignment? Sorry for my ignorance as to how this stuff works but that is why I am here...to learn. Thanks!

GA_Boater

It looks like the cover nut broke or wasn't installed properly and the guts spun right out.

Do you have the parts? The prop shaft, carrier and all the prop w/hardware is gone.

What is the motor serial number?

I think I have all of it. The prop is attached to eveything that goes inside. Even the little 2" or so rod. (I have no idea of the correct name) I will get photos of what I am talking about tomorrow. The serial number is 3576141

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I say it had water in it.----Froze and pushed it apart.-----More pictures of thread on nut and in housing might confirm that.

No Title

Here are some additional photos, looks complete to me, but that's why I am here. The outside threads have had better days, pretty jacked. The inside threads look to be perfect.

Attachments

• photo277197.jpg
    photo277197.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo277198.jpg
    photo277198.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo277199.jpg
    photo277199.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 0

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like all you need is a cover nut (#11-87763) and the tab washer (#14-53012) and while you are at it order the propshaft oil seals and any bearings you may need. Many, if not all, propeller shafts have a grove worn in them from old nests of monofilament fishing line. Can cause water getting into your gears. You are also missing the key that keeps the Bearing carrier centered correctly It's a little piece of steel about 1/4" x 1/8"x 1/8". You need to find out why these things are missing.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do you really think that the threads furthest in are " perfect " on this housing;-----Order a new nut and see if it screws in easily !!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That unit needs a complete rebuild bearing and seals if nut will screw in....