2000 150 hp with a 98 200 hp powerhead....potential problems??

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Hey guys,looking to upgrade from center console to a walk around.Saw one with a year 2000 150 hp that the seller states he had a powerhead replaced and it was replaced with a used year 1998 200 hp .He also states that he had it done 3 years ago and it has run great w/o an issue since.Am i looking for a potential problem here or are they interchangeable w/o issue?? thanks Charlie

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
The only thing I could think that might be different would be the gear ratio in the lower unit, but I'm probably wrong there even. I don't see any problems by bolting a 200hp head on a 150 midsection, unless the exhaust housing in the mid is a little different? I don't think you would have any issues with it though. I would suggest making sure that the serial number on the block is infact a 200hp 98' powerhead as the seller is stating... Don't hold me 100% on that.... but check the serial, have the seller take the boat out with you, and run the normal compression test and what not on the motor.... If all checks out and it runs good then I wouldn't worry myself too much about it.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
thanks,i plan on taking it out for a run and doing a compression test.Spoke to a Mer tech this morning and he confirmed that the powerheads are interchangeable which is good news

Dukedog

Captain
The only thing I could think that might be different would be the gear ratio in the lower unit, but I'm probably wrong there even.

ya got it right if it was a plain jane 150 carb motor, not efi or xr6.....
tuner will be a little longer also.. but no biggy.