Mercury XR6 fuel delivery

colaynug

Cadet
Hi..
I have a 2001 XR6 serial OT303736
Runs, starts and idles great. My problem is when I fish a spot awhile , start up to take off most of the time after getting in gear and taking off it will stall and die.
When it does the primer bulb is soft, It is never soft when I first start it in these situations.
I have replaced primer bulb (twice), all fuel lines, fuel filter, checked fuel line intake screen in the tank and rebuilt the fuel pump twice, the last time using Mercury OEM parts.
I have finally found the problem but can not figure out how to fix it. With the hood off and running on water muffs I noticed the fuel level in the in line filter will drop when idling, as if the pump can't keep up.
The air pulse line to the pump is pulsing but I have no idea if it is enough.

Also it never runs out of fuel running on plane at higher engine speeds, runs great always

Appreciate ANY input

Thanks to all for your help
Paul

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Filter will never be full.......when it does this if you pump bulb will it take off???

colaynug

Cadet
Yes.... I will go back the bulb will be soft.... I will prime it and it will start right up and run fine until I stop and fish awhile on another spot. I doesn't do this 100% of the time but I will a good 85 or 90 %

colaynug

Cadet
Yes.... I will go back the bulb will be soft.... I will prime it and it will start right up and run fine until I stop and fish awhile on another spot. I doesn't do this 100% of the time but I will a good 85 or 90 %