Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1986 Mariner Magnum 150hp 6cyl Trim not holding motor up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Mariner Magnum 150hp 6cyl Trim not holding motor up

My trim motor will trim up and down the motor. However, when I trim it up, it will eventually loose the pressure and settle back down.

I have played with the manual trim screw and if I loosen it, it will lower the manual and then tighten it will stop.

I would like to replace the trim screw but there is a washer on the inside of the housing so that I cannot remove the screw.

BTW there has never been any fluid that has leaked from the trim motors onto the driveway or in the water.

Two questions.
    1. How do I remove the retaining washer and it seems to be a full circle washer.
    2. If the screw isnt the problem, then what else might the problem be?

Any thoughts

Comment

Here is the Manual for the MID SECTION Power Trim Square Motor And Round Motor Design
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzE...ew?usp=sharing

This manual is not for my exact motor but I have to imagine they are very similar. The pictures looks identical.

From what I can tell, the problems will be as follows

G. Does not hold trim position under load or
      I. Leaks down and does not hold trim.

2,5,6 or 2,5,7
      2. Pump assembly faulty.
      5. Manual release valve leaking (check condition of O-Rings) (valve not fully closed).
      6. Lower check valve not seating in port side trim ram
      7. Upper check valve not seating in port side trim ram.

One other thing I might add is that when I have been in the water for a while and I start to raise the trim, the motor spins for a bit and then it seems to grab and start to raise. Not sure if that is the trim motor building up pressure?

Click image for larger version

Name:	trim.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	277036

Comment

Comment

Comment

Has anyone had to deal with this problem?

Comment

Comment

how interchangeable are the trim parts from other motors? Could I buy an older motor and get the trim parts off of it?

Comment

Manual release valve has been changed. However , that didn't seem to fix the problem.

Now what?
                  Change orings on pistons ?

Comment

Took apart the port trim rod and cleaned it up. The check valve is metal and looks like there isnt much that could go wrong with it. The ram has an oring on it that could probably be changed but I didn't have the kit.

Put it back together and tried to prime it and get a gurgling noise. I am not sure if battery is weak or if the motor is shot.

Anyone buy from these guys?

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...75n-99186.html

seems like a good price, problem is it is from china.

I think I am going to take the trim motor off and the pump just to clean it up a bit.

Looks like there is a Canadian distributor as well.
                    https://www.totalpartscanada.com/pro...75n-99186.html
                    https://www.totalpartscanada.com/pro...75n-99186.html
                    In business for 30 years in eastern Tennessee, we feature the highest quality starters, alternators, generators, and electrical parts for your vehicle, boat, watercraft, motorcycle, ATV, farm tractor, or any application. We are dedicated to offering the lowest prices and the absolute best service, period. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff is ready to assist you with any question you may have, and we will ship your order promptly and efficiently. We are committed to you.
                    Last edited by Coxwain; October 5th, 2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

The trim is off the boat now. The motor has been inspected, the armature tests fine, the brush tray is shot. The tray is around $125. So I think I'm going to buy the Chinese motor and pump and give that a try.

Problem is that I need the boat for this weekend and I won't have the replacement part by then.

Can I use the boat without the power trim installed? Can I manually lock the trim in place like I do on mu 9.9?
                      If so how do I do that?

Comment

I got lucky and total parts Canada was next day delivery in toronto .

I spent the entire day cleaning the trim and installing the new one.

Big problem was removing the trim motor from the trim assembly. I had to put a torch to it and it came right out. There are no set screws for this .

Install went surprisingly good. The new relays have to be used and here is why.
                        The old pump is 3 wire, ground wire, up wire, down wire. When the solenoid clicks in it lights either the up or down trim to hot and drives the motor

The new 2 wire motor works based on reversing the voltage to change direction. So one wire is hot the other is ground and that moves the trim up. Reverse and the ground is now hot and the hot is ground and it reverses the motor the opposite direction. The relays are needed to accommodate that.

I left the old solinoids in the motor and disconnected the hot wire to them. .

One think on my trim wire from the old harness there was a hot wire there and I disconnected it. I'm not sure if it was being used for something else but I don't think it was needed for the trim? I should check out the wire diagram to see.

Anyway, it works now.

One thing I should have done was replace all the rings at the same time, but I didn't have the kit or the tools and was in a rush to use on the thanksgiving weekend in Canada.

I'm not sure if the bleed down is fixed, but I think after all this trouble, I'll keep it like this.

Comment

Another update, bleed down is still present.

I think if I was to fix this, here is what would be left to try.
                          1. Oring kit for Ram and 2x trim pistons.
                          if that didnt work.
                          2. Change or clean the check valve in the ram piston.
                          if that doesnt work.
                          3. Change the check valves in the trim pisionts.

Either way, I am done going any further with this for this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X