2001 Mercury 15hp 2 stroke starts (with choke), isn't drawing fuel, dies

dansel

Recruit
I have a 'new to me' 2001 Mercury 15hp 2 stroke, manual start, tiller model.

Yesterday I put it on my dinghy around 5 or 6pm. It hadn't been started since I bought it that morning, fired up first pull low idle no choke. Seller gave it to me with about a gallon of fuel in the 6 gallon tank, but noted he hadn't put 2 cycle oil in it. So I added a couple ounces of oil and we went for a spin to test it out. Was working flawlessly so we went about a mile to the fuel dock and filled up the 6 gallon tank. I added about 14oz of 2 cycle marine oil. Again started right up and away we went back about a mile to our dock. As we rolled in and I let off throttle the engine died. Since then it will only start with the choke open and throttle set to high. This morning I checked the vent isn't blocked on the tank, checked the fuel line from the boat to the motor for obstructions, etc. Took apart and cleaned the fuel filter (there was some dirt in it, but very very little). After reinstalling, same result. The fuel line is red tinted and semi-transparent. I noticed with the engine 'running' for about 5-10 seconds, working the throttle by hand until it dies, that no fuel can be seen moving through the line. Yesterday I could see bubbles moving and the flow of fuel when all was well. I disconnected the fuel line and let the engine run out until it wouldn't start any longer. The fuel filter stayed full of fuel as it had before (which I found odd the first time).

So... fuel pump needs rebuild or carb the issue? Would seem to me fuel pump or another fuel line on the other side of the fuel filter is clogged (which seems unlikely). When I prime the the engine with fuel line bulb the filter fills right up.

dansel

Recruit
Does it stay running when you keep squeezing the bulb?

I did some testing, and I am able to help keep it running longer squeezing the bulb, it will still die eventually just idling though. But it does help me keep it to where I can put it in gear and can keep it running in gear, but only if I keep the revs up and/or pump the bulb occasionally. More often than not when I drop the revs it wants to die.

I can still only restart with the choke open, but I can restart on low idle now. It doesn't want to start at all without the choke, but I assume that's because of fuel starvation when it dies. Regardless, to start I generally have to pump the bulb, open choke, start, close choke and put in gear soon and then I can motor away. The throttle response is poor and it can surge at times, but it does seem to keep running when there's more throttle. It is smoking a lot at start up though and lower throttle.