solid beeping alarm

Took the boat out for a pleasure cruise over the weekend and got the joy of having a constant beep noise interrupt it.

The facts:

94 Merc 90hp motor

Ran for about hour with no problem. When we were putting taking some photos, a loud constant beeping noise started. I put the engine in neutral and turned it off. Started it right back up and the beeping was gone. We decided to run back to the doc since we didnt know what had caused the beep. About 100 yards up river when we hit about 4000 rpms the beep started to happen again till it got to the same loud beep. throttled down and the beeping stopped. started to give it gas again and the beeping returned. Had my buddy feel the pee stream and he said it was cool to the touch. Beeping would turn off and not come back on evey time I turned the motor off. It would start beeping randomly once we were running up river. sometimes we made it 30ft and other time half mile. The other weird thing that happened was twice during the runs back up river the rpms would drop and then surge back up.

My question is, is my motor overheating? or do I have water in my fuel?

Just had the gas/oil pump replaced on it.

alldodge

Staff member
The tank sender goes bad on them, they get all gunked up. Other things for solid beep, overheat,

Oil sender empty has continuity, not empty no continuity

alldodge

Staff member
Ya know, since it goes off when you slow down it might be overheating. Have you replaced the impeller lately?

alldodge

Staff member
Get an IR temp gun and measure the temp, if its to high, then maybe the impeller or casting areas. If it stays cool, then may need another temp switch