1976 Merc 110 trigger wires

jpostal

Recruit
Please bear with me, I'm new to boat motors and not all that mechanically inclined, but I want to learn.

I picked up an old 1976 (?) 110 9.8hp from an estate sale for $75. The history on it is unknown other than it's been in storage since 2009. I put in in a bucket today not expecting much, but eventually she fired up. I only ran it for about 10 seconds before shutting it off. A few minutes later I tried again and it coughed and sputtered a couple times but would not start. I know it's going to need some TLC (clean carb, change impeller, plugs, leg oil), but I want to start with what I can see first. Upon inspection, the only thing that is glaringly obvious is that the wires that run from the trigger to the ignition box (?) are rotted out and crumbling. There is plenty of good wire to splice into coming out of the ignition box, but I have very little (if any) good wire to work with closest to the trigger. It appears as though the wire enters the trigger assembly and is encased in plastic or something. If I can't tie into the 1/2" stubs of wire exiting the trigger, is there any way to replace this wire or will I need to find a complete assembly?

Any other suggestions on things I should watch for while tinkering with this motor?

jpostal

Recruit
Don't they go to a terminal block and from there to the trigger?

I need to pull the flywheel off to get a better look I guess. From what I can see, the wires appear to be encased in a hard plastic where they exit the trigger. I would post a photo, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 1976 7.5 has a terminal block below the stator,facing front. The brown trigger wires come down from the stator to the block and then back to the switch box. Screws hold the terminals to the block. Does your sn start with 430.... ?